Adventure of a lifetime

Sailing round the world....slowly

Day 2 of passage

Noon till noon distance: 156nm
A beautiful day sailing, well for most of the day. We still had a double reef main and all the genoa out and were doingb6-8 knots, we were cracking along
We had lunch, mahi and rice, i had cleaned up and had just got settled in my bunk when i heard the call...Trina, fish on! Or something like that. I had my headphones in so not sure what was said, but knew i was needed. As i awkwardly scrambled out of bed, i heated
Mahi, its a good mahi...Trina!!
Im coming, i call back, knowing there's nothing i can do until he gets it in.
I undo the gates, move the lines, get the gaff ready and wait while P does battle with the mahi. Then when the fish is close to the boatĀ  i hand P the gaff and take over on the rod. The mahi has a final shake and struggle and Im sure its going to spit the lure, but we get it right up to the back and P expertly gaffs it. This one is bigger than the one yesterday, hence the gaff. 16lbs it weighed. We already had stew made up for passage, we were supposed to eat it yesterday, but mahi won over. So this time all the mahi went into the freezer. We would like to have some mahi to eat once at D.ville.
I just get back to my bunk when P calls out again. The repair tape we patched a small cut with has obviously failed, and the sail has torn further. Quite a bit by now, so we have to furl that and shake out the reefs in the main. So now we are only running with a full main and the jib (the littleĀ  headsail)
We are still doing 6kts and higher so certainly must have some GS current with us. I head back to my bunk at 2pm.
Lost 2 hrs of my 3hrs off, but thats what can happen!
Finally at 3pm we started the motor and were motor sailing, still at 6-7kts, with the motor just ticking over.
Now, at 0300 the sails aren't contributing very much and we'll probably drop the main soon.
Yup, i just got P up to drop the main at 0400. There was no wind and the sail was just banging around.

Comments