Adventure of a lifetime

Sailing round the world....slowly

Squally evening

Highborne Cay - 34 nms - 7hrs - Ave speed 4.8kts
Departed just before the low tide turned at 0900, this way we had the wind and a little bit of current against us, but at least they weren't fighting each other and making the cut aggressively choppy. It was a bit choppy even in these optimum conditions. Just had the genoa out today as there was enough wind from behind us to keep us moving. Had the lures out all day, but not even a nibble. It was quite rolly to begin with, enough to make me take some tablets and dive down below for a bit once the sails were set. The roll died down over the course of the day and I was able to come up on watch to give Phil a break now and then.
Haven't anchored in this bay at Highborne before, last time we were anchored in the N bay with Oops. This one is very deep and lots of room, so can fit many boats. Quite a few were here when we arrived and more came after us. We saw a float plane do a low flyby and then land, went into the resort marina and depart 30mins later. Just as we were enjoying sundowners, we were also watching the clouds darken and a large squall passed behind us closer to Nassau. Then we saw one coming straight for us from the south. Big, dark clouds - you could clearly see the front approaching. Phil let out more chain and we watched as the motor yachts hurried to secure inflatable slides, jetskis and tenders. The wind increased and became cool (always happens with a front) and we watched as remarkably the front passed across our bow - more to the east of us. After most of the front had passed we got some rain, but not too heavy, just enough to wash the salt from the decks. The most wind we saw was 15kts, even though we were expecting more. Then it was all over, it was fast moving and was gone by dark.

Comments