13 October 2009 | Simons Town
Its been a while since I have updated this blog, so here is what I've been working on recently. I have been uphappy with the bilge pump exit arrangements in that the previous owner has plumbed them into a t connection underneath the sinks. These t-pieces appear to have soem form of platic welding to connect the pipes and which has sinhce gone off and basically the pipes dont work. Both of the sink outlets were either under of just on the water line, so I decided to change things. I have now dril two holes very high bup the side of the hulls just beside the galley and the heads right below the toe rail. These outlets will be plumbed directly to the electric bilge pumps and I will re plumb the sinks back to single outlets with valves as intended. That will address the potential of syphoning back into the bilges when the wind was adverse and the boat was lying low. I have also started on re carpetting the flooring which was getting on my wick. I would have preferred to use teak and Holly veneer but this will do as an interim solution.
I have also managed to buy a cheap microwave at an internal company sale, which will assist with food preparation when in the marina. i have found quite a useful spot for it although the door doesnt fully open. It is nice and secure and out of the way and yet easy to get to.
I have also been hunting around for a solution to my Genoa issue and have looked at new sail pricing and gasped....!!!. I have been looking at second hand sails and hunting high and low but havent come close to an acceptable solution. therfore I have taken the plkunge and sent in the old hank on sail and have ordered it to be modified to fit the pro furl roller reefing. No point in faffing around any longer. Bite the bullet and be done with it.
Other current projects include the fitting on a bulkhead mounted caravan type electircal connection to improve my connection to the mains. This is almost complete and looks far better than my previous arrangement.