Da rockin SHAMROCK

I have changed the name of my yacht from Susan to Shamrock

18 October 2010 | Simons Town
13 July 2010 | Simons Town
17 May 2010 | Simons Town
05 May 2010 | Simons Town
15 April 2010 | Simons Town
30 March 2010 | Simons Town
09 March 2010 | Simons Town
11 February 2010 | Simon's Town
01 February 2010 | Simons Town
02 December 2009 | Simons Town
09 November 2009 | Simons's Town
27 October 2009 | Simon's Town
13 October 2009 | Simons Town
11 September 2009 | Simon's Town
31 August 2009 | Simon's Town
24 August 2009 | Simon's Town
24 July 2009 | Simon's Town
17 July 2009 | Dublin
22 June 2009 | Simon's Town
08 June 2009 | Simons Town

Bilge water

27 October 2009 | Simon's Town
Mike Connolly
Managed to get a couple of bits and pieces last week whilst on leave to address a number of outstanding issues. Firstly we have had two bad blows recently one of which has damaged the stack pack and caused the main to falp around badly last week. The wind was so bad that all I could do was to take a[part the stack pack, undo the main and stuff everything downbelow into the foc'cle. I went back on Saturday and refitted the danmaged stack pack and main and redid all of the stack packs ropes with a heavier gauge 8mm rope, which hopefully should managed better against the wind. I also managed to source all of the perspex and had it cut to size and the corners rounded in anticipation of replacing all of the original portholes. These circular porthold gives the yacht quite a dated appearance and new oblong dark perspex windows will improve things no end. Another job which has been on the to-do list for a while is to rejig the galley sink, and bilge outlet. I disconnected the sink and the t piece that connected both pipes to the tru hull fitting and refitted the sink outlet directly to the tru hull fitting. The new drilled hole for the bilge outlet has been fitted very high up under the gunnel and I have fitted 6 meters of new 19mm ID hole a very cirtuitious route to the bilge pump. Dont think there is enough water in the bilge to get it to work yet but will try again next weekend and hopefully we wont need a booster pump.
After this I will undertake a similar process with the forward bilge and its connection to a t piece under the heads sink. I have difficulty in working in the heads as it is so cramped (relatively) and hard to manouver in let alone do any work. In thinking about it I need to improve the ventilation and replace the aged mushroom fitting with something more appropriate.
Another project succesfully completed has been the modifications doen to the original genoa and the change to a roller furler from a hank on. After several frustrating attempts to make a plan, I took the original sail to Quantum sails in Cape Town and they did a great job on it. When I went to fit it last Saturday morning, I have a blonde moment and initially attempted to fit the sail upside down. I was panicing badly when I realized my mistake and rectified it. The new sail fitted like a dream and rolls away neatly. Think I need to increase the length of the roller control sheet as it appears to be a bit too small.
Hopefully the next pictures will include the perspex windows....
Comments
Vessel Name: Shamrock
Vessel Make/Model: Fortuna 37
Hailing Port: Simon's Town, Cape Town
Crew: Mike Connolly
About: My daughter Storm and Wife Niki
Extra: I am starting to restore a Fortuna 37 here in Cape Town. I have been involved in the refurbishment of several yachts working up from a 22 foot Viking to a 23 Foot Buccaneer to a 25 foot Flemenca (and also a 20 Foot Vivacity) to end up with Susan a 37 foot Fortuna
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:5542
Shamrock's Photos -

Restoration of my Fortuna 37

Who: Mike Connolly
Port: Simon's Town, Cape Town