01 February 2010 | Simons Town
I managed to scrounge an autohelm 6000 and a B & G wind indicator from a chap on the marine who was leaving recently. I have fitted the instrument into the bulhead and the wind direction and anonometer on the stern rail. I need to get the plugs for the power and to connect the instrument to the indicator. The Autohelm is a different story and will require a linear drive in addition to all of the parts that I already have. Haven't even thought about sourcing one of those yet.
I have had soem recent problems with the enginbe starting which has caused some difficulty recently. I have had the starter motor rebuilt and have eventually rewired the starter swithc and bypassed the relays to the starter solenoid. The engine now starts on the button and is a pleasure. In reflection there were several issues which occuring which made starting difficult. They were, a lazy relay in the wiriing to the starter. The power source which I used to initiate the starting didn't have a 12volt feed and was only registering about 10V so there was some voltage drop somewhere along the line. Also the starter solenoid was loose which was addressed with the rebuild.