Da rockin SHAMROCK

I have changed the name of my yacht from Susan to Shamrock

18 October 2010 | Simons Town
13 July 2010 | Simons Town
17 May 2010 | Simons Town
05 May 2010 | Simons Town
15 April 2010 | Simons Town
30 March 2010 | Simons Town
09 March 2010 | Simons Town
11 February 2010 | Simon's Town
01 February 2010 | Simons Town
02 December 2009 | Simons Town
09 November 2009 | Simons's Town
27 October 2009 | Simon's Town
13 October 2009 | Simons Town
11 September 2009 | Simon's Town
31 August 2009 | Simon's Town
24 August 2009 | Simon's Town
24 July 2009 | Simon's Town
17 July 2009 | Dublin
22 June 2009 | Simon's Town
08 June 2009 | Simons Town

Susan is no more

09 April 2009 | Simons Town, Cape Town
Mike Connolly
I have started to remove the Susan name from my Fortuna. As I understand it, one needs to remove all traces of the old name before one can put the new name on.(old supersticion I hope to have this done over the Easter weekend. Only two names on the bow sides and a large one on the stern which I have removed. Not too many of the bits and pieces in the yachts inventory are marked so that will be easy enough to change to the new name.
I have to book the the lift out for next week with the marina company as I want my mates at Bay Marine to attend to the leaking stern tube (soemthing that has been an issues since I bought the boat, paint on a new stripe, clean and polish the hull and probably repaint some of the midships area due to fender damage. I need to have the transom totally stripped, some holes filled in and painted to match the hull. I also want to get the antifouling cleaned and the line straightened as it is lower at the bow than at the stern.
Once that is all done and the boat is back in the water, I will get soem of the work done on the rigging. I am going to get plastic t oieces in the corss trees replaced, the new roller furling fitted, which will also involve the genoa being seriously modified and I should get the compression post also repaired as there is some corrosion at its base whcih I am not too happy about.
These are all in the future but as I have four days off work starting tomorrow, I am going to kick off some serious graft for the next few days. To start with I need to delve into the bilges again as there still appears to be water/oil coming out of the tank under the engine which I thought I had sealed off. Looks like there is another pipe somewhere buried under the rear of the engine whick I suspect is allowing bilge water to go into the tank and keeps adding to the water issues. Once I determine that that is the case, I will empty it again, and again clean up the bilges and try to maintain some kind of order down there in advance of the lift out and stern tube repair. I also need to look at the wiring of the water pressure pump which has stopped working, looks like the negative wire has broken somewhere. Look at removing the radar unit from the mast which could be a mission, including the wiring down the mast and the WWII type radar viewing unit in the saloon.
I also want to tackle the stop switch in the cockpit which stopped working some time back. I also plan to move the spare anchors aft and also to try out all the many sails I have and see how they fit and their sizes and ensure that I have sufficient sheets etc when it comes to iusing them.
Sounds easy but undoubtedly, it will be a dirty and frustration weekend up to my elbows in oily bilge water and peculiar electircs. The joy of boating....
Comments
Vessel Name: Shamrock
Vessel Make/Model: Fortuna 37
Hailing Port: Simon's Town, Cape Town
Crew: Mike Connolly
About: My daughter Storm and Wife Niki
Extra: I am starting to restore a Fortuna 37 here in Cape Town. I have been involved in the refurbishment of several yachts working up from a 22 foot Viking to a 23 Foot Buccaneer to a 25 foot Flemenca (and also a 20 Foot Vivacity) to end up with Susan a 37 foot Fortuna

Restoration of my Fortuna 37

Who: Mike Connolly
Port: Simon's Town, Cape Town