Rainy and windy Ketchikan
30 May 2012 | Ketchikan, Alaska
Debra / rain and wind
We have had more changes to our plans due to weather than anticipated. First was a small delay due to winds in Johnstone Strait. But we made it up to Port McNeill after some nice stops in Desolation Sound. We had a weather window to get around Cape Caution but missed it. So we spent two days in Allison Harbour. Finally made it around Cape Caution and had a 12 hour day getting to Shearwater.
After leaving Shearwater we went to Fiordland and had a beautiful day in Bolin Bay, then on to another beautiful day in Khutze Inlet. But that has been the last of the good weather. Rain since then. From Prince Rupert we had another 12-hour day to get to Ketchikan due to gale warnings. And boy has it been windy in Ketchikan, 25 to 26 knots here in the harbour. Several other cruisers we've met along the way are all hunkered down here now. Looks like wind dies down tomorrow. Ketchikan Bar Harbour is convenient to many things, shopping and laundry, but no power at most transient slips. And they don't have internet access, so we finally had the idea to add wifi hot spot service to our ACS data plan.
We will be in Ketchikan until Saturday when friends Kurt and Alison arrive to begin our trip to Misty Fjords. Looking for some sun, or just less rain!