Issuma

28 July 2022
28 July 2022
08 May 2022
18 April 2022
04 March 2022
17 February 2022 | Little Bay, Marystown, Newfoundland, Canada
16 February 2022
09 February 2022
06 February 2022 | Little Bay, Marystown, Newfoundland, Canada
05 February 2022 | Little Bay, Marystown, Newfoundland, Canada
01 February 2022 | Little Bay, Marystown, Newfoundland, Canada
30 January 2022 | Little Bay, Marystown, Newfoundland, Canada
25 January 2022 | Little Bay, Marystown, Newfoundland, Canada
24 January 2022 | Duricle Cove
11 September 2021 | Little Bay, Marystown, Newfoundland, Canada
27 August 2021 | Grey River
26 August 2021 | Grand Bruit
26 July 2021 | Isle Valen

In Memorium

04 January 2015 | 20 53'S:116 25'W,
Maggie
In Memorium to Capt. John Doswell

At sunset on Saturday, we logged in to the satellite and received very sad news. Capt. John Doswell, a seasoned mariner and good friend from my homeport of New York, had just passed away.

John invigorated everything and everyone around him. He had served in the US Navy, owned his own boat, had talent and careers in the fields of computers and theater, and shared his love of country and bluegrass music. But I knew him best through his work on NY Harbor. He was a leader in the movement to re-envision the neglected waterfronts and waterways of our city. He continuously worked to make the Port of New York diverse and appreciated, to make the harbor more accessible for people while preserving strong commercial and maritime uses. I was lucky enough to work alongside him on some of these projects, which included a public tug boat competion, an outrigger canoe race, hosting international tall ships, and organizing public sails at festivals. It could sound crazy, it could take a lot of effort, but with John, it was always fun on the water!

Some of the influence on these important projects, and much of the support for them, come from John's family. I hope his wife Jean and daughter Joneen can feel my deepest sympathy and most caring thoughts across the miles now.

I believe that John will always be with us through the great things he developed that we can continue. As I sail on tonight I see his innovative vision in the bright light of the moon and stars; I feel his boundless energy in the never ending rhythm of the waves, and I sense his inspiration as the breeze fills the sails. I will very much miss the chance to tell my friend about the great voyage I'm on now. But my voyage through life, and the lives of so many others, will long continue to be enriched by Capt. John Doswell.
Comments
Vessel Name: Issuma
Vessel Make/Model: Damien II, 15m/50' steel staysail schooner with lifting keel
Extra: Designed for Antarctica. Built in France by META in 1981. Draft 1.3m/4.5' with keel up, 3.2m/10.5' with keel down. More details at http://www.issuma.com/rhudson/issumaboat/IssumaDetails.htm
Home Page: http://www.issuma.com/rhudson/
Social:
Issuma's Photos - Main
Survey pictures taken of Shekin V
14 Photos
Created 29 April 2008