OUR FIRST KEEL BOAT

Vessel Name: RIPPIN
Vessel Make/Model: SWANSON 36
Hailing Port: CAIRNS
Crew: LUCKY
31 March 2013 | CAIRNS
22 July 2010 | CAIRNS INLET & BAY
18 April 2010 | Cairns
Recent Blog Posts
27 July 2014 | CAIRNS

INSTALLAION OF NEW PSS DRIPLESS PROP SHAFT SEAL

Good Morning, It looks like it has been just over a year since our last post. Being out of work for a year and then working away in Weipa on half pay for a year has meant pretty much no sailing for a long time. This post is about removing our old stuffer box prop shaft seal and upgrading it with a [...]

31 March 2013 | CAIRNS

PAINTING BY CAPTAIN CHRIS DICKER

Well, it was time to anti-foul again, and given that Phil had spare time on his hands, we decided to paint the sides and stern of the boat. How fortunate we were to meet Chris & Gilli Dicker in their timber sail boat "Westwind". Chris has considerable experience in boat painting, and under his tutelage Phil Justo & Jenny, sanded back all under the waterline & then the sides, stern & toe rail. We used a two pack paint - "Awl grip" which is a bit tricky to apply. Chris applied the paint with a roller, and then "tipped" it (long brush strokes @ 45') with a special brush with split ends. The finished job drew many admiring comments. What a difference the clean hull made - she was very quick & slippery again.

01 August 2012 | CAIRNS TRINITY INLET

ANOTHER LIVE JUVENILE CRAYFISH RESCUED FROM OUR RAW WATER SEA STRAINER

Today we moved our sail boat to another mooring in Trinity Inlet, about 25 minutes LESS dinghy time to get to; and much more protected. Quite a long waiting list to get there. What really prompted me to update our blog; this is the second time that we have rescued a live juvenile crayfish from our raw water sea strainer. We are hopeful that this is telling us that Cairns Trinity Inlet is a healthy place for marine life.

22 July 2010 | CAIRNS INLET & BAY

CAIRNS LOCAL SAILING

After quite a few weeks of strong wind warnings we managed to combine refuelling / taking on 150 litres of water, and a pleasant days sail. Without our dinghy and sailing purely for pleasure we sailed 029 degrees mag until 12:00 noon. A good time to heave to, cook some hot dogs for some & vegemite rolls for others, washed down with ginger beer and tea. Not sure of the reason but all three of us suffered from mild sea - sickness for a while.

18 April 2010 | Cairns

BACK IN THE WATER AT LAST!

Well, after coming out on to the hardstand on 23rd Dec 2009, we finally made it back into the water on Mon 9th April. The principal work done was the installation of our new Yanmar Motor, but many ancillary tasks completed whilst at it. The next week or so at Cairns Marina saw the installation of our new Lewmar anchor windlass, and our electric toilet. At last starting to look like a sail boat again.

BACK IN THE WATER AT LAST!

18 April 2010 | Cairns
Lucky
Well, after coming out on to the hardstand on 23rd Dec 2009, we finally made it back into the water on Mon 9th April. The principal work done was the installation of our new Yanmar Motor, but many ancillary tasks completed whilst at it. The next week or so at Cairns Marina saw the installation of our new Lewmar anchor windlass, and our electric toilet. At last starting to look like a sail boat again.
Comments

About & Links