Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Eels and slashed sleeves

22 April 2010
The piazza of St Peter's is one of the great open spaces of Europe. The colonnades reach out to embrace the crowds in a rhythmic symmetry that seems to extend the solemn contemplativeness of the cathedral into the open air. It has three elements within it, the obelisk and two fountains. It is strange to learn that for 60 years, there was only one fountain, which must have made the whole scene unbalanced. In this picture, Pip is standing beside the younger one, installed by Pope Clement X. It appears more weathered than the other as a strange quirk of the shape of the area means this fountain gets caught in the blasts of the tramontana, while its elder brother less than 100m away is protected.
The water comes from Lake Bracciano, forty miles away, splashes through the fountains in the Vatican gardens, makes this last showy appearance and then joins the Tiber, which is about a mile from the piazza. At times the fountains have to be shut off and the pipes cleaned out: eels breed in the lake and millions of small fry get into the works and gum them up.
No visit to St Peters is complete without a picture of the Swiss Guard in their popinjay uniforms. Tradition had it that these were designed by Michelangelo, but nowadays they are attributed to Raphael. The idea of slashed clothing began after the Swiss beat the Burgundians in 1476. The victors were themselves in rags, and they cut down the bright marquees of the ducal army and made themselves patchwork jerkins and hose from the silks and tapestries. This became a continent-wide fashion, with sleeves and leggings stitched to reveal rich cloth beneath. It may be that this uniform was an attempt to tone down even more riotous attire.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich