Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Exploring Elba

19 May 2010
We have had a great time exploring Elba in a way we didn't manage to do during our visit last September. And it's a very lovely island, with something for everyone. See the gallery about our explorations for the pictures: some were taken by Linda of Aquila. This is quite a big collection, but barely does justice to this jewel of an island.
Elba's history is based on its extraordinary geology; the island is composed of two lithodomes that emerged slowly from the magma (showing a patience and lack of drama that Icelandic monster would do well to emulate!) These two domes, the western Mount Capanne and eastern Mount Calamite have different contents, but both yield a lot of granite, haemitite and iron, along with many other minerals. Mt Calamite actually roughly translates as Magnetic Mountain, which reflects the magnetite within it. Double check the compasses in this area.
There have been mines here throughout recorded history, reflected in place-names such as Portoferraio (iron port). The Etruscans smelted metal here, as did the Romans, and Napoleon reorganised it all to yield even more. The last iron mines only closed in 1981, while there are still several open granite quarries. The mining heritage is celebrated in festivals throughout the year.
All these rocks result in the beautiful beaches that nestle between steep cliffs. We paddled at Biodola (main picture) but it's not warm enough yet to swim. There are pebbles that glitter with the pyrites in the pounded rock, or wide stretches of fine golden sand, as well as black or even dark green beaches.
Another striking feature of the Elban environment is the wildflowers which are exquisite at this time of the year. Rock roses, broom, poppies and many more flourish across the hills, bright dabs amongst the luxuriant greens of oak and chestnut and tall wild grasses. Later in the year, the hills are sere and brown but right now they are all the colours of the rainbow.
We have done several hikes in various parts of the island, and it is impossible to pick a favourite. The woods on Cabo Enfola were beautiful, and the twisted granite shapes above Marciana, and the views across bays below Capolivere. We would recommend the island to anyone looking for an enjoyable week, with lots to do, including diving, walking, riding, cycling and - surprise - sailing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich