Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

More clear water

31 December 1969
On Wednesday we moved to Cala del Bianco. This is a very pretty bay slightly further north, and the picture shows the tiny town of Oliva about a mile away. You are not supposed to motor here, though as the YM article said, most people do discreetly turn their engines on to reach the buoys. We were excessively pleased with ourselves for picking up our mooring (without a floating line, we must add) under sail! We haven't done that since leaving England, when we used to practice the trick on the mooring buoys outside Levington on the River Orwell. Those are more difficult because the rope topknots are the devil to get a line through. But, conversely, the tide actually helps to pin you on the buoy if you use it right.
This little bay is very pretty, even through the (very empty) road runs just meters from the beach. The water is crystal clear and full of fish. They hover in the shade of the hull, helping us by nibbling the muck off the bottom. They they follow you as you snorkel along, so you turn and find yourself in the shoal. There are two downsides to the place: there seem to be hundreds of black flies. We would have taken this personally but at least one other boat had the same problem. Overnight there was also a swell, just enough to be irritating.
Entering the bay we had raced (us! It happens!) another boat, using the afternoon westerlies to great effect. Of course there were enough buoys for all of us, but it must be admitted that their Aussie flag provoked Pip to ensure we got that mooring buoy first time! George and Diana, on Kos 49.1, turned out to be great fun. As Diane said, the cruising life often consists of saying to total strangers 'hello. D'you fancy a drink?", which was exactly what Sarah had kayaked over to say. They came aboard, not least for a mutually profitable book swap. They also asked about the vagaries of blue ensigns; we explained; as members of the Cruising Association we're entitled to fly one, but we don't as so often we find them associated with the worst of British snobbery. To confuse matters, another boat in the anchorage was flying a white ensign, sign of a serving member of HM forces, to which we are definitely not entitled.
We didn't quite manage to sail off in the morning, as Roaring Girl would not pay off in the right direction. We only used about two minutes of power though. Then we meandered out of the bay and once in clear water set our cruising chute for the 20 mile trip to other side of the Gulf of Asinara, and Castelsardo.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich