Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Seriously going south

30 July 2010

30/7/10

After our days touring around, and using the car to do a massive pile of washing and a very serious trip to the huge hypermarket beyond the airport, we were still delayed by a mistral with 30kts westerlies and big seas forecast. It finally went down about 1800, by which time evening languor had overtaken us. Plus a friendly drop of wine with Marina (who'd joined us to pick up her crew in Olbia), and new friends Reinhardt and Crystal of Seatrac. They have been cruising these waters for many years and were full of helpful tips. They also endeared themselves to us by recognising Roaring Girl from seeing her at the anchorage in Portoferraio last September.
So on Saturday morning we finally extricated ourselves and set off for Arbatax. Our original intention had been to anchor under this extraordinary behomoth, the granite island of Tavolara. This is largely dominated by the military, but there is an anchorage at the south western tip which is reputed to be very beautiful. When we went past it was filled with the usual motor-yachts and day-anchorers, and we were happy to keep going.
Eastern Sardinia is a notoriously bleak coast, with few easy stopping points. There are reputedly glorious beaches, and it's probably a great area for a land-holiday, with splendid hiking in cooler months. From a cruising point of view, though, it's an area to get through.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich