Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Choosing the anchorage

15 August 2010
The Porto Grande offers a huge and excellent anchorage. We first went over to the east side, and anchored in 8m. This was gooey, soft mud, and it took the rocna a surprisingly long time to bite. We looked around at the industrial landscape and the mucky brown water and decided to up sticks and be close to harbour front.
So we meandered back through the 20 or so boats (Czech, French, American) and ended up the nearest to the front. It's a stunning view, and not too disrupted by passing wake. The water is cleaner here too.
You can tie up, stern/bows to using your own anchor, for free on the Grand Harbour. We decided not to bother. It's much hotter, there's the risk of cousins of Maurice of course, and there is less security. But if one wanted to be alongside for any reason, this would be an acceptable free spot. There are also two marinas, one each side or Orytega.sp
Update, 2 days later: Just as we were writing this, the Coast Guard turned up and made us move, indicating that we should move west beyond the commercial dock. So after two days enjoying the view, we are back nearly where we started. We aren't wholly surprised as we were quite close, but then, they didn't move us for all the celebrations. Still, the water is now cleaner, and there isn't any water-borne industrial traffic and the shelter from the forecast northerlies is better here.
Update, yet another day later: we found why they'd moved us when two huge cruise liners turned up: we would have been right in the way.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich