Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Wonderful Shanghai Museum

04 July 2012
The major museum in the city is a huge collection of important treasures from all over China, housed in a relatively new building. Yes it was busy – this is still China – but it’s so well managed that you never feel crowded. And it is free!

A cong is a jade tube which is square on the outside, with a round hole. The juxtaposition of the square earth and the circle of heaven is common in Chinese symbology, and is reflected in the design of the museum itself. This one has pin sharp edges incised into the hard white jade, which is difficult to grind or cut even with modern metal blades. It was made in eastern China somewhere around 3000 BC, and nobody knows how it was done. It is exquisitely beautiful.

The museum has a great array of these jades plus extraordinary bronzes dating from 2000 to 0 BC. And furniture of the Ming and Qing dynasties, costumes and pieces from the many minority peoples of China, a detailed history of currency and much, much more. It needed far more time than we (or our feet) could manage.

A friend (thanks, Mike) had also said the Museum has a great shop. That’s true, and a lovely black silk jacket with a silver lining joined us for the next stage of our adventures.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich