Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Penguins and puffer fish

18 July 2012
Kelly Tarlton's is an aquatic centre, named after its founder. he was a larger than life figure: diver, salvage expert, Kiwi self-made engineer and early conservationist. Pip remembers the centre as an exciting visit of her childhood, especially the penguins.

We found somewhere rather sadder and more constrained. The penguins are in a small, enclosed space, surrounded by signs emphasising the temporary nature of their accommodation. Indeed there was quite a lot of rebuilding going on around us. The stingrays patrol up and down their tank. The big tank has a tunnel underneath it, so you can see fish over your head and alongside as you are carried on the walkway. Beyond are smaller tanks with more exotic fish, seahorses and these octopi.

The place was pioneering when it opened, both to educate the public about the Antarctic and supporting conservation efforts. They stress the big investment and facelift underway. We left, though, with the feeling that it has been overtaken by better places. It was interesting to see Emperor penguins upclose, but the display was a mile away from the Antarctic centre in Christchurch we visited last time we were in NZ. And the aquarium does not compete with the Lisbon centre. Many of these places are forms of zoos, with all the moral ambiguity attached to keep animals (particularly large nomadic species) in captivity. If it cannot be done in ways which protect the animals, promote education and support conservation, then it is questionable whether it should be done at all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich