Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Frabjous day: Fiona and Melanie's Civil Partnership

22 September 2007 | Cornwall
Sunny, calm, generally fab
Our very dear friends took the plunge at Helston Registry Office, followed by a splendiferous day's partying in the tiny village of Gunwalloe. The RO is quite small and it was packed. We remembered what the registrar in Ipswich told us when we got spliced. 'We love Civil Partnerships,' she said. 'They're always big events and everyone's so happy.'
It was true last weekend as well. Fi and Mel got through the ceremony without tears (though Melanie's lower lip trembled, we gather.) Nobody got the giggles either, which beats what happened to us, as Pip lost it during her vows. Afterwards, we adjourned to the Gunwalloe beach caf�. This stands right over the beach on the Lizard with a magnificent view of the Western Approaches, Penzance in the distance and the sunset.
There was enormous amounts of champagne, including some very good Cornish fizz, called Camel Valley. Highly recommended. Also the beautiful cake, shaped like an anchor and iced by Mel who had painted realistic marzipan shells into exquisite mussels and water-worn scallops. Some of us walked the cliffs, a brave few went for a swim, and others sat and talked.
As always, unexpected connections emerge within the lesbian village. One woman went to the same school as Sarah (albeit two years younger), and her partner knew our friend Polly from Oxford days. The food was staggering; more seafood than you would believe, and Pip even praised the oysters. Huge amounts of lobster too. There was roasted vegetables, steak fillet, salad, potatoes. Yum, yum. Almost all of it was sourced in Cornwall too.
Melanie arranged fireworks, which are amongst Fiona's favourite things. These were great; nowadays you rarely get to stand close up to the display, what with big crowds and health and safety. But we could stand on the low cliffs as they erupted from the beach in colours to rival those Gandalf set for Bilbo's birthday party. Then back to their house for late night partying.
It was fantastic to be back amongst a big group of dykes; we've missed that and wherever we end up this winter, we want to make more of our connections and see more lesbian friends.
Really nice too, that on Sunday as Sarah walked through the village, an elderly man clipping his roses asked if the happy couple had got away. "We're fond of that Melanie," he said. "She's like one of us now, she really is. And Titch too. That's what I call her, Titch. So long as they have a long and happy life, that's all that matters."
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich