Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Seal cubs

17 January 2008 | Nugget Point
Still windy but drier
Luckily the rain had begun to clear by the time we got to the Catlins. Named after an avaricious settler, this region is famed for its beauty even amongst Kiwis blas� about the qualities of their natural scenery. The sweet, 30 year old guide book that Beryl lent us says that it draws visitors from as far as Dunedin and Invercargill! Today they come from Japan, Europe and Canada.
We had a bracing walk on the great curve of beach at Kaka Point. Beyond here an unsealed track leads to Nugget Point (so named because it is allegedly shaped like a gold nugget.) This uninhabited headland is famous both as a trap to shipping and as the only place on the mainland where elephant seals, fur seals and Hookers sea lions co-exist.
There are indeed seals breeding here, as these pups learning to swim in a rock pool show. The sides of the headland are very sheer and forbidding, making it impossible to get close up. We saw other seals lounging about but couldn't see their noses to identify whether even the largest were elephant seals. Far down one cliff was a colony of sea-lions, their long white whiskers just visible in the monocular, but not caught on camera.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich