Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

I am not dangerous

29 April 2008 | Gorran Haven to Veryan
Pip
The weather was not looking so good but decided to go at 9.30. The heavens opened shortly after. Too far to turn back, I have to go on to. The first village I come to is Gorran Church. Not even a shop. The bus on Tuesday left at 0930. Mised it. On to Beswinger. I know there is a YHA there. Should be a place to dry out there, methinks.
Well, I get to Boswinger. There is a holiday park on the corner, but thinking of a warm place with simpatico people, I go on. Wet, cold and ready to stop on, I knock on the YHA door.
A chap's head pops out the window. "What do you want?"
"A dry place and room if you have one."
"No. I've a school group in." All this, while he is hanging out of the window, as if I was a mass murderer. After some prompting, he suggests a B&B about six miles away. I ask if the holiday park might help, and with no specific answer, I put my pack on and trudge soppingly back up the road.
At the holiday park reception, the answer is "sorry, we're not really open for the season yet." But in answer to "do you mind if I dry out a bit", they say "no problem".
Having missed all the buses out of the village, I ask about the shuttle taxi. The nice man rings - to find out the taxi has just gone to the airport and is at least one and a half hours away. Ironically, it had left from the same pub I had left dry, only this morning.
Pondering my future and thinking - I'll just get a bus back to St Austell and get on a train, and give up.
A deliverer of publicity leaflets turns up, and yep! I get a lift out of here. Yes, yes, yes!
Next stop, Veryan . Sandy, my new-found friend, delivers attraction leaflets to all accommodation out this way, is most helpful about where to go in Veryan, and puts me right for striking distance of St Mawes and Falmouth.
The B&B is fab. The lovely lady dried all my stuff. Warm boots, and then the sun came out!.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich