Rockin' on RobinLeigh

The High Seas adventures of the sailing vessel RobinLeigh

28 February 2011 | Rock Sound, Eleuthera
21 February 2011
17 February 2011 | White Cay Anchorage - Berry Islands
09 February 2011 | Bimini to Berry Islands
03 February 2011 | Bimini - Bahamas
01 February 2011 | No Name harbor Key Biscayne
26 January 2011 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
17 January 2011 | Ft Lauderdale
07 January 2011 | Jacksonville, FL
03 December 2010
30 November 2010 | Cumberland Island, GA
22 November 2010
20 November 2010 | Cape Lookout
17 November 2010 | Severn River Marina, Hayes VA
30 April 2009 | Hayes, Virginia
15 June 2008 | Florida
01 June 2008 | Severn River Marina - Hayes VA
09 May 2008 | Severn River Marina - Hayes, VA
04 May 2008 | The Chesapeake Bay
30 April 2008 | Georgetown, SC

Underway Again... Almost

17 November 2010 | Severn River Marina, Hayes VA
After a full summer of boat work (2009) and another long summer at home in Florida (2010), we're finally ready to hop on "RobinLeigh" and go sailing for a while.

We arrived on the boat on November 7th with a short list of chores and the intention of leaving the marina by the following weekend. It's 10 days later and we're still here - partly because of weather, but mostly because our to-do list was longer than it looked and we had a few surprises!

Here's the quick version of the last week or so...
Got here at night to a very cold boat - slept with lots of blankets and layers. Cat completely freaked out by his new surroundings. Spends most of the night trying to sleep on our heads.
Tucker in shock
Three days later and things are semi-organized, major projects begin: prepping new dingy (old one died), running lines up the mast, buying supplies. While putting up the navigation light at the top of the mast, the quick-connect ring flies away into the water - Robin: "Are you diving for it?", Charles: "Not a chance" - off to the internet to find a replacement. A day later - "Why doesn't the freezer work?" - we spend a few hours tearing apart the galley so we can ship the controller off for repair.
Waiting for the our parts to arrive by mail we finished up our to do list: hanging sails and adding the boat's name to the side of the hull. In the mean time, more trips to the store, more food and supplies aboard (no frozen goods yet). Tucker the cat is getting braver and exploring the deck but still refuses to let us sleep through the night.
Mail arrives with a new quick-connect for the navigation light and a new controller for the freezer. One more day for installation and testing then one more trip to the supermarket for frozen goods and forgotten supplies and we're ready to go!

A final day studying the charts and learning how to use our new navigation software - our destination is set: Morehead, NC - 423 nautical miles south. That's 40 hours, mostly offshore. One full day and two long nights. Now to check the wind and weather forecast....

That catches us up to today: overnight we had a low pressure system come through with rain and strong winds. Thursday morning looks like a good departure.

More pictures here...
Comments
Vessel Name: RobinLeigh
Vessel Make/Model: Trintella 49A
Hailing Port: Destin, Florida - Currently headed for the Bahamas
Crew: Charles and Robin
About: Mostly full time cruising since 1998, we've traveled over 60,000 sea miles and are still looking for the perfect anchorage...
Extra:
“Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did do. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” [...]

The Usual Suspects

Who: Charles and Robin
Port: Destin, Florida - Currently headed for the Bahamas

The Cruising Yacht SiteRing

Previous | List | Random | Join | Next

SiteRing by Bravenet.com