Robyn's Nest Adventures

Formerly Sailing Seanna.

13 October 2015 | Kingfisher Bay Marina
08 October 2015 | Demopolis, Alabama
08 February 2015
18 January 2015 | Biloxi Mississippi
17 January 2015 | Biloxi, Mississippi
14 January 2015 | New Orleans
22 November 2014 | Guthrie, OK
10 November 2014 | Houma, Louisiana
10 November 2014 | Morgan City, Louisiana
08 November 2014 | Old River Canal
07 November 2014 | Natchez, Mississippi
05 November 2014 | Vicksburg, Mississippi
03 November 2014 | Vicksburg
02 November 2014 | Lake Providence Harbor
01 November 2014 | Greenville, Mississippi
30 October 2014 | MM 14.8 Arkansas River
30 October 2014 | MM 14.8 Arkansas River
29 October 2014 | Three mile above lock four on Arkansas River
28 October 2014 | Island Harbor Marina, Pine Bluff, Arkansas
25 October 2014 | Island Habor Marina, Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Day 3 of the BIG adventure

03 March 2012 | MM 306 Gulf ICWW
Lester
Well we left Legend Legend Point Marina around 9:30 Thursday morning. along for the ride and to share local knowledge were our friends from the marina Jane and Glen. Glen used to own the Sea Tow franchise in Clear Lake, so he really is knowledgeable about Galveston Bay. We motored to the fuel dock at the Galveston Yacht Basin where we had to say goodbye to our friends. That might be the worst thing about cruising, constantly saying goodbye. Then our friends Roger and Kathy met us in Galveston and took us to dinner.

Friday morning we awoke to a pretty poor forecast for our sail from Galveston to Port Arthur. So, we had a decision to make. do we anchor out in Galveston for several days, risk a very uncomfortable sail in the Gulf, or take the ICWW to Port Arthur and then reassess the weather from there? We decided on the ICWW. There was an anchorage reported in the guide book and the chart showed 8 feet of water, so that was to be our anchorage for the night. Well we ran aground at the entrance, so we had to call Towboat US to pull us off. the ETA for the tow was 3 hours, so we started talking to the tugboat captains to see if they could make a wake big enough to raise Seanna so we could back her off. It worked on the second try!

We were again heading South on the ICWW and as darkness approached, we found a bulkhead along the channel to tie up for the night. Robyn made gourmet raman noodles for the very tired crew. Because we knew a front was coming, and we weren't in a designated anchorage, we took turns staying up through the night to make sure the barges could see us. The front came in around midnight and greeted us with 30 knot winds gusting to near 40. It made for a very long night, but we are so satisfied with how well we handled the situation. now that the front is here, the tide is very low and we are once again aground at the bulkhead. no problem though as we are tied and fendered well, and the wind isn't in our favor anyway. it looks like we might be here another night waiting out the weather and tides. Robyn and I are in agreement on one very important thing though, this cruising life may be too exciting for us. We don't have internet here in the middle of nowhere, so I'm sending this post via HF radio. The radio is becoming our new best friend, both VHF and SSB.
Comments
Vessel Name: Robyn's Nest
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar 44MC
Hailing Port: Guthrie, OK
Crew: Lester and Robyn Branch
About:
Married since 2007. It has been Lester's dream to cruise in a sailboat for over 20 years. After a cruise in 2012, and learning about the "Great Loop", we sold our sailboat and bought a trawler for a different kind of cruising. [...]
Robyn's Nest's Photos - Main
Life after Seanna, aboard Robyn's Nest
14 Photos
Created 8 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 22 March 2012