Robyn's Nest Adventures

Formerly Sailing Seanna.

13 October 2015 | Kingfisher Bay Marina
08 October 2015 | Demopolis, Alabama
08 February 2015
18 January 2015 | Biloxi Mississippi
17 January 2015 | Biloxi, Mississippi
14 January 2015 | New Orleans
22 November 2014 | Guthrie, OK
10 November 2014 | Houma, Louisiana
10 November 2014 | Morgan City, Louisiana
08 November 2014 | Old River Canal
07 November 2014 | Natchez, Mississippi
05 November 2014 | Vicksburg, Mississippi
03 November 2014 | Vicksburg
02 November 2014 | Lake Providence Harbor
01 November 2014 | Greenville, Mississippi
30 October 2014 | MM 14.8 Arkansas River
30 October 2014 | MM 14.8 Arkansas River
29 October 2014 | Three mile above lock four on Arkansas River
28 October 2014 | Island Harbor Marina, Pine Bluff, Arkansas
25 October 2014 | Island Habor Marina, Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Pensacola to Destin Passage

29 April 2012 | Destin Harbor, Florida
Lester
Saturday, April 28:



We have been underway about three hours. The weather is superb. The seas are about three feet, and the winds are out of the South at under ten knots. We motored out of Lost Key Marina where we stayed last night. Once we reached the outer markers for Pensacola Pass, I hoisted the sails and we made a turn to 120 degrees. We are currently running about four and a half knots with an ETA to the Destin outer marker of 5:20.



We haven't seen any dolphins yet, but there are a lot of private fishing boats around. I'm at the helm, and Robyn is trying to rest. We're getting a swell from the South, so it isn't the most comfortable ride, but it's not bad either. It is just so nice to be able to sail after all of the motoring we have done since leaving Kemah.



To our South, all we can see is open water. To our North, we are passing Gulf Breeze. I think we will be within the sight of land most of this passage.



Oops, Robyn is seasick! We have been at sea for about four hours. We still have a side swell, and I'm pretty sure she should not have eaten that pizza last night. A combination of the two is pretty much taking her out of commission. I guess the ole Cast Iron Captain will have to keep the helm all the way to Destin! I knew she should have washed that pizza down with a margarita! Here I am eating peanuts, chips, and anything else I can find.



It is now 12:11. We are past the half way point and Robyn just took the helm. She seems to be feeling a lot better. I gave her some Bonine a while ago, and maybe that helped. As a rule, you need to take Bonine before you need it. I think I'll rest a little while she is feeling better.



It's 1:30 and the seas are building, and Seanna has her shoulder down into it. Our ETA is now 5:30. We can see what we think is Fort Walton on the horizon. That can only mean we will see Destin very soon.



Sunday, April 29:



We are having our morning coffee now, as it is the morning after. We had been warned about the current here. Robyn drove to the outer marker, and it was time for me to douse the sails. The wind, current, and the wakes from many boats truly made dousing the main sail treacherous. Then, as we made the right hand turn at the bridge to come into Destin Harbor, all hell broke loose. The current running out was around six knots. I had the engine revved as high as I dared, and we were beginning to drift backwards. I think we could have made it, except the Marine Police, in their infinite wisdom, decided to pull over the boat in front of us. In their zeal to make an arrest, they cut us off, I had to cut back on the power, and then we began to drift. Fortunately, another power boater saw our dilemma, and told Robyn to throw them a line, and they would help pull us into the harbor. With their help, we made it in, found a place to anchor, and dropped the hook. It was such a terrible end to a wonderful day. We hailed the Destin Water Taxi, and went ashore to have what turned out to be a mediocre dinner.



We will spend a few days here checking out the sites. I was ready to leave before we got through the cut, but Robyn is looking forward to checking out this place. Besides, with all of the weekend boat traffic, we might be better off leaving on a week day. I am already looking at the tide table, to time our escape!



One more thing before I close; we want to wish my sister, Janet, the best for her birthday!
Comments
Vessel Name: Robyn's Nest
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar 44MC
Hailing Port: Guthrie, OK
Crew: Lester and Robyn Branch
About:
Married since 2007. It has been Lester's dream to cruise in a sailboat for over 20 years. After a cruise in 2012, and learning about the "Great Loop", we sold our sailboat and bought a trawler for a different kind of cruising. [...]
Robyn's Nest's Photos - Main
Life after Seanna, aboard Robyn's Nest
14 Photos
Created 8 March 2014
21 Photos
Created 22 March 2012