The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

Waiting for parts

14 September 2009 | La Coruna
Some wise person said: 'cruising is doing boat maintenance in exotic places' and by God, he/she was spot on.

If I may say so myself, we did a quite thorough job on Röde Orm before we left Sweden. In addition to this, we carry a lot of spares. Engine speres, tools, material to do at least provisional repairs at sea or in 'out of the way' places.

And still -after a mere 1600 miles and a couple of months on the move, we have not only found a couple of more things to put on the 'to do'-list but also a simple breakdown where we where without spares.

We have 2 manual bilge pumps on board and repair kits (gaskets and valves) for both. The same goes or the head(toilet in 'landlubberish). We've also got three footpumps for water on board. In the galley (kitchen in landlubberish) on each for fresh- and seawater respectively and another fresh water pump i the head. I was certain we had repair kits for those too. Not so, I discoverd after digging everything stored in three cockpit lockers out. Almost one cubic meter of 'stuff'.

Thats the reason we will have to stay two more nights in La Coruna in an uncomfortable anchorage with wakes from ferries, freighters, fishong vessels and tug boats around the clock.

The bonus is obviously that we'll have time to see a bit more of the town. We are reluctant to leave the boat unattended for more than a couple of hours in the morning though. In the afternoon there is usually a fresh Force 5-6 and the depth is over 20 meters gproviding a less than satisfactory scope on the anchor rode. We've got 60 meters of chain +40 meters of line out. More than that is not possible since the boat could swing too close to the channel.

And the other repairs, wonders the observant reader...?

The wooden members at the stern of the boat, where the windvane is arrached, need to be reinforced, since they are not providing a solid enough base for tha attachment points of the wind vane gear. (This is the mechanical self-steering device). The most important crew member onboard, probably. The vane also needs new lines, since the old ones are staring to show signs of chafe. This little project, together with some electrical installations (newly bought cabin lights) will wait until we reach Lisboa. We will stay there for a while anyway since Isabelle's PC has broke down despite a new hard drive i n the UK, and we will also investigate the price level there for ordering a dodger(sprayhood) Since we will be mostly coast hopping on our way down there we'll do fine withour using the wind vane more than occassionally.

There's always something to tend too, thus no risk for boredom
Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden