The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

More new stuff onboard

26 March 2010 | Alvor-Algarve- Portugal
I am glad we decided to raise the waterline last spring when we did a paint job on the hull. The purpose of doing so was because it makes it poosible to polish the topsides while the boat is in the water.

Well, as all cruisers know, 'stuff' tends to be brought on board at a steady pace. Thus; unless one carries other 'stuff' ashore at a similar pace, the painted waterline seem to reach the 'real waterline' (where the water ACTUALLY meets the hull) over time.

This in turn leaves the crew with 3 alternatives.

1) Simply accept that the boat is in a very slow, but steady process of sinking...

2) Buy a larger boat.... or

3) Take a full day, or whatever needed, to go through every storage locker on board and discard/sell/ give away every item we find that has NOT been in use for 2 years, AND is not likely to hazard the overall safety onboard.

After lenghty considering, and negotiating, we have come to a consensus decision in the matter.

We'll settle with alternative 3. But not now of course....but soon.... or at least well before taking of on a longer passage..... or.....


A lot of self irony in the text above.... but it's SO TRUE, and in itself a safety matter at the end.

Anyway- We just made a SO good deal and found an *almost new' inflatable dinghy with an inflatable floor board together with a 2 hp outboard at a very reasonable price. This deal came through thanks to Joe, one of many nice neighbours here in the achorage.

Posting a pic of the dink here and the OB in the Photo Gallery.

The grey 'pillow' is from our old dinghy. Why a new one?

When we spend months on end at anchor like this, the dinghy is SO important since it is, in effect, our 'daily driver'. At least trip ashore daily, with water jugs, food and other necessities plus the crew and occassionally a guest too.

The dinghy needs to be sturdy enough to take those loads and keep us at least reasonably dry and comfy while rowing ashore as well as being capable of taking quite a bit of beating against concrete walls, pontoons, other tenders and smaller fishing boats etcetera AND yet be light enough to be manageable for one man to get up on deck.... and last but not least, be small enough to, when deflated, be snugly stowed on the cabin top without hampering the vision from the cockpit too much.

Impossible combo?

Obviously, every one of us comes up with their own answer to this issue.

For us, at this point at least, it's a 2,30 m dinghy at 15 kg and a light 2 hp engine. The engine makes it possible to move against a >25 knots wind AND tide, which is virtually impoosible when rowing.


Still prefer rowing as long as it's at all possible for sure.



Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden