The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

Les Machines de L'Île

15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
We visited a very interesting place. The famous author Jules Verne is probably the most well-known individual born here. So what was more appropriate than to celebrate him in style on a very interesting localtion, right in the heart of the city - Le ôle de Nantes - where the once so lively shipyard had several thousand 'chantiers' building all kinds of large vessels. The yard today is a fascinating mix of old buildings, art, like the spectacular series of circles along the river on the western side of the island. The island is within the Loire River, that flows through the city and naturally was a superb location for ship-building. Just opposite the yard, on the S shores are the houses where the 'Cape Horn'-skippers used to live and on the opposite shore, north of the ôle(island) are the buildings that once contained the offices of the companys involved in trading overseas, also including the not so glorious slave-trade.

Anyway, when all the workers of the huge ship-yard got laid-off and the ship-building became history here (there is still a big yard in S:t Nazaire also along the river) some of them used their skills to build a giant - think a Huge Marionette doll) that became famous and now is touring the major cities of the world.

Their experience from that encouraged them to go on, and someone came up with the brillinat idea of constructing a series of 'machines' in hommage to Jules Verne and all his creative innovations.

First, they built an elephant - 'The Sultan's Elephant'- that's 12 meters high and weighs 42 tonnes! It consists of a steel skeleton with beautifully crafted wood sections forming the body. It's powered by a Cummins diesel engine and the very natural, albeit slow, movements are hydraulically powered. (see pictures in the Photo Gallery side link)

The elphant takes passengers for a stroll around the area and was a tremendous success that has become a trademark of Nantes by now even if it's just 3 years old. The Elephant has been followed of aa series of other machines and there are more to come. The workshop seemed very busy.

Children and adults alike enjoy themselves in this lovely place.
Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden