The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

To Lithuania part 2

12 July 2008 | Klaipeda
This time the watchkeeping/sleeping pattern worked nicely for us on our three hours on- three hours off schedule from 9pm to 9am. In the first half of the night there were quite a bit of commercial shipping heading 20-30 deg. from the latter stage of the night and all the way to arrival at Kllipeda we didn't spot a single ship. Not a single pleasure vessel either by the way.

We sighted the lights from the harbour and the Light-Bouy marking the entrance around 4 miles offshore. This coastline is shallow with sandy beaches and since it was around midnight and needless to say pitchdark, I decided to heave-to under the mizzen sail 1,5 miles north and inshore of the Bouy during the rest of the night.

In the mornng we had made leeway with 3 miles in 6 hours. The wind had decreased even more and of course veered to E so we motored into the large commercial harbour. It took us a couple of hours to come to the town center where the small craft harbour was full. Therefore, we moored in the *Jachtklubi' harbour on the opposite side.

A ferry went back and forth to town every 20 minutes until midninght so everything was fine. In the very marina there was a rock festival during the weekend so the pro was free entertainment and access r�to free internet too. The con was to share 4 showers (!) with 600-800 yungsters who slept in their small tents just 20 meters from the dock.

Since the harbour fee turned out to be a mere 2?'? we could definetely cope with this minor nuisance.

In the Town center there was an international folk miusic festival with participants fron all over Europe and probably beyond, so free entertainment here as well and we truly enjoyed our stay. I might add that the local beer was cheap and VERY good.

One other swedish sailing vessel in the marina and a couple of Germans. The rest of them locals. Interestingly enough quite a few of the local yachts were swedishbuilt good'ole boats from the 60-70ies. A Lithuanian sailor I talked to told me that he could make a profit from buying an older boat in Sweden and sell it over here and then sell it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden