The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

The slowest 'Passage' ever...?

07 August 2008 | Dirham - Estonian mainland
Since we had a headwind out of harbour, the crew of the Finnish flagged Delphia named 'Dealatis' that we got aquainted with under the 30-35 knotter these last days, gave us a tow the first mile. The first time ever I've had to accept a tow.

Soon enough we realized that this would be an endurance exercise. The wind decreased early on and was just about enough to provide steerage. In addition to this, we had to tack a few times to clear the numerous reefs the first 6-7 miles to the north and the east.

To make a looong story short, we just about made it. The 30 miles sailed i�ncluded the tacks took us 24 hours more or less. And for an hour just after sunset, we made 4-4,5 knots close-hauled. Thus we mad an average of 1,5 knots or therabout.

When we arrived at the entrance (170 degrees and 60 meters wide between reefs, remember?) at 3 in the morning, the little remaining wind veered to South and made any attempt to sail in there impossible. Since we were far from in distress, nor wanting to call on the VHF at this early hour, I simply hoisted the mizzen, sheeted it hard to heave-to and then we slept until the morning.

We must have been tired, since we slept until 8, when a very light breeze came back....from the South, obviously.

The next three hours we were beating too windward to gain those 3 miles we had drifted while at sleep.

Back at teh entrence - still no way to sail into port, I called the Harbour office on the VHF twice with a few minutes in between. No answer. Then I called 'all stations' . even though there were a couple of sailing boats within eyesight, no one answered. Then the Estonian Coast Guard answered. I told them that we were not in an emergency of any sort, but needed a tow to get into harbour due to serious engine failure. After a mnute they called back and told me they were coming.

In the meantime, a man with a distinct accent of an English Gentleman, called from his yacht 'Arctic Tern' and told me he was further East but heading my way. I said the CG were already on their way but thanked him nevertheless.

So, we made landfall in the wake of an old Finnsih-built CG vessel from 1961, well maintained, and with tthe dual mission to break ice at winter. A 300 hp engine and an extremely thick steel hull saw to that.
Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden