The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

Mariehamn

09 September 2008
The Harbour Master helped me find the company that dealt with Yanmar engines in town, and when I called them the mechanic came to our boat within an hour. Superb service. It was raining again, but the near gale force NE winds forecasted were not to be percepted. I rigged a tarp over the cockpit to accomodate the mechanic.

Unfortunately it turned out that his firm had just recently taking up Yanmar service, and he didn't really have the experience to 'examine' our engine problem. At least he was honest and straight-forward enough to say so.

Next option is to sail west to the Stockholm Archpelago. Just south of it lies the town of Nyn�shamn, where it is very convenient to make a stop for provisioning anyway, and there is a Yanmar dealer there too. The next possibility further south would be Oxel�sund which is also easily accessed from the sea.

During the afternoon I showed Isabelle around in the town. Admittingly it appears a lot more interesting in the vacation period in the summer but there was actually more people in the streets than I expected.

Just before we left the dock for the walk, a significant thunderous sound, apparently from huge diesel engines caught our attention- It turned out to be a former Swedish Navy LAnding Craft 200 with a crew of three who docked just ahead of us. Since those guys obviously had a keen interest in marine diesel engines (three of them on board 300 hp and 11 litres cylinder volume each and all built in 1958!!) I consulted them about my 'tiny' little auxiliary.

Interstingly enough they discarded my theory of water entering the cylinder right away and insted voted for an injector problem. Not uncommon on a new engine, according to their collective wisdom. Just a tiny bit of paint or whatever would make the injector work unproperly, and furthermore would most likely 'heal' by itself, or more correctly solve itself over a few hours more of motoring...

Interesting theory, obviously I hope it's the correct one too.... we'll see. Anyway they didn't think it would be hazardous to keep using it though, which gives me some comfort in heading southwest tomorrow.


The landing craft on the pic.
Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden