Rogue Ravings

25 March 2011 | Soldiers Point NSW AUSTRALIA
11 January 2011 | Southport enroute to Port Stephens
10 January 2011 | Gold Coast Mariners Cove Marina
08 January 2011 | Southport Mariners Cove Marina QLD
04 January 2011 | Airlie Beach
24 December 2010 | TCYC Marina
24 December 2010 | Townsville Yacht Club Marina
22 December 2010 | Portland Roads
22 December 2010 | Portland Roads
22 December 2010 | Portland Roads
22 December 2010 | Portland Roads
19 December 2010 | Portland Roads at anchor 22 days
19 December 2010 | Escape River FNQ
19 November 2010 | 20 Nov 10

05-09 Dec 10 at anchor

22 December 2010 | Portland Roads
05-09 Dec 10 - Finally finished the book '66 Days Adrift'. Average read, but informative from the point whereby it gave an insight into what happens in a raft adrift; fish living under the raft providing them with a supply of food that could be caught....even with a quick hand, no line needed, turtles that would use the raft to clean their shells and sharks that attack and bash the raft with their tails and of course the obligatory leaks and how they repaired them! You could also see what they did wrong and how things might be improved by adding certain items during a raft inspection and repack. They saw about 40 ships, yet were only seen by one; they fired 3 flares (all they had), signalled with torches, waved shirts but never used the mirror. They even resorted to a message in a bottle that washed up on the beach and was found about a month after they were rescued. Lets hope my raft stays firmly chocked on deck and the only time I open it is at inspection time!
05 Dec 10 - On Sunday night new neighbours Lloyd and Mandy aboard their steel Adams 35 'Kalili' anchored next to me. Finally some sub 60 year olds to chat with! They invited me to a dinner Tuesday night where we dined on Mandy's beautiful home-made curry and rice washed down with some of Kev's Lime infused Vodka. I returned the gesture Wed evening and I whipped up a Potato and vege cheese bake and Porterhouse steak with Rogan Josh sauce washed down with Bombay Sapphire Gin with lime. Having worked for Defence Maritime I knew a couple of Lloyd's workmates in Darwin who were ex 75SQN techs. They are a lovely couple and great company.
06 Dec 10 - On Monday evening, Greg arrived on his Prindle 18'2" catamaran (similar to a Hobie Cat) 'Muckle Daley' that he sailed from PNG on his way south to Mooloolaba just north of Brisbane. Certainly not my idea of fun. As it was dark when he arrived, Lloyd and Mandy invited Greg to hang from their stern and he safely slept aboard 'Kalili'in their cockpit rather than on the catamaran trampoline 2'above the water whilst tied to a mooring buoy. Directly opposite the 4 metre croc lair.
07 Dec 10 - On Tuesday Greg and Sheree gave me a lift to Lockhart River store (there is only one) to restock. Prices were not as bad as I expected so the pantry is good for another week or so. Meanwhile, Lloyd gave Greg a hand to plug some leaks in his catamaran.
08 Dec 10 - On Wed I swung by 'Kalili' and picked up Lloyd and Mandy and we headed back to shore. 'Kalili's' tender was packed away so I have been taking them to shore as both our yachts are being hammered by a metre plus swells and strong SE winds. It's nice to stop the hobby-horsing for a while. Each trip I am waiting for the old 2hp Yamaha to die!! Is a bit underpowered and does not instil much confidence. When the wind and waves are up and tide running strongly, I line the tender up so if we need to row it's a drift downwind to one of our boats. We dropped into the café for the mandatory prawn roll and fish and chips and were joined by Shamus and Kate and their daughter Zoe. They care-take the house next door to the Café that also has a holiday house they rent out. Fishermen, bushwalkers, 4WDs groups and birdwatchers visit Portland Roads, so during the season it is usually booked out.
Meanwhile, despite our advice on the deteriorating weather, Greg decided he would depart on his Prindle 18ft Catamaran. He only made it around the headland a couple of miles to Restoration Island where he was hammered with headwinds up to 20-25 knots. He has since called us on VHF to advise he will stay put until Sat as we previously advised, so he has more favourable winds from a favourable direction.
09 Dec 10 - Had a few things die on me whilst I have been at anchor. Another seacock has busted so #1 job when I slip the boat is to replace all seacocks. I am not game to attempt and in-water replacement by to unscrewing them from the through hull fitting, for fear of snapping the 1983 installed through hull fitting bolts as stainless steel is bad for crevice corrosion. Unfortunately, the seacock that busted was the sink drain, so it's back to the plastic washup tub.
Comments
Vessel Name: Rogue Wave
Vessel Make/Model: Sigma 36
Hailing Port: Port Stephens, Australia
Crew: Kev
About: Kev is a self reliant bloke who believes one should prepare early for sailing retirement. Relle is a patient wife/grandmother waiting for her husband to retire so he will stop his moaning about working!
Extra:
For as long as I can remember I have always loved water and boats. Thanks to my parents, my first ocean passage was in 1964 when we sailed from the UK to Sydney via the Panama Canal at the ripe old age of 2 and a bit! I threw up the entire trip and the ship travelling in sight behind us, was lost [...]

A bit about me

Who: Kev
Port: Port Stephens, Australia