Rover

Back to Civilization

27 November 2019 | Marina de la Paz, La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Eric Ahlvin | Torrential rain, 78F, 74% humidity
Yesterday we did a quick trip in the dinghy around the cove and a brief snorkeling excursion before we put the dinghy back on deck and headed for La Paz. We entered the channel to La Paz and were slowed by a knot and a half of current emptying the estuary through the harbor. Our marina is a floating one, we had a port side tie with a neighbor to starboard (down current) in the same slip, so the arrival was exciting. The knot of current pushed us toward the neighbor, and prop walk to starboard didn’t help. There were line handlers on the dock and we managed to get tied up without bumping the neighbor, but it wasn’t pretty. A saying from my flying days: “any landing you can walk away from is a good one.”

We’re very happy with the marina. There are lots of cruisers, it’s within walking distance of downtown and has an excellent restaurant on the premises. We had dinner at the restaurant and had helado de coco for dessert (photo). This is a dessert we had at Can Borrell (a restaurant in the woods near our house), when we lived in San Cugat (near Barcelona, Spain). It’s coconut icecream, served in half coconut shells. Our friend, Ken Trueba showed our kids how to make horse hoof sounds and they clop-cloped through the woods like Monty Python. After dinner, Linda and I clop-clopped back to the boat.

Today the unsettled weather that we were racing has arrived. It’s calm and sheltered in the harbor but has been raining steadily all day. Laundry and internet use are on the agenda for today, with thanksgiving dinner at the local restaurant tomorrow. This will be our first chance to provision since San Diego, so that’s also on the agenda in the next few days. We plan to stick around until Monday and then head north.
Comments
Vessel Name: Rover
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 42
Hailing Port: Seattle. WA
Crew: Eric and Linda
About:
We're making a big change to a cruising lifestyle. Eric retired in 2012 after 32 years in R&D (mostly) at HP. Previous passions included flying and bicycling. Linda will retire in 2013 from Oregon State University. She's been active in Zonta, was a Scoutmaster, and is a champion baker. [...]
Extra: Linda was barrel master and Eric participated in the Jackson Street Vintners; a group of friends that made wine from 2000 to 2013
Rover's Photos - Main
From Seattle to San Francisco
166 Photos
Created 21 August 2019
Photos from week seven
2 Photos
Created 3 November 2013
Living in Port Townsend
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013