Rover

Getting ready for the Baja Bash

28 March 2020 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Eric Ahlvin | Sunny and Clear, air temp 75F, water temp 77F, light breeze
We left Ensenada de los Muertos on 3/26 for Bahia Los Frailes. It was a light air day, but we expected to be able to fuel in San Jose del Cabo, so we used the motor. On the way we overheard a couple of other cruisers talking on the VHF about fuel availability, limited hours (0900-1300) at the pumps and the need for a reservation to get fuel at San Jose Del Cabo. We were briefly in cell phone range, so asked Ben to check out the situation and then we made a call for a reservation at 11 Friday. The air was light, but we were on track to arrive at Frailes in daylight, so we put up the main and drifter for a couple of hours.

Once we got to Frailes, I did the navigation for the trip to San Jose Del Cabo and realized we needed a 5 am departure to make our 11 am reservation. We went to bed early and then raised anchor in the dark and got underway. It was good practice with the crew for the next legs. We made it to San Jose del Cabo and went directly to the fuel dock. We were fueled and off the dock in a half hour, maintaining distance from the attendant. As we pulled away I noticed the attendant using hand sanitizer and washing his hands. We did the same.

From San Jose del Cabo to Cabo san Lucas the wind was light again but we were able to sail for an hour. We're sweating the amount of motoring we do because it's 1000 miles to San Diego, and we can carry fuel to go 640 miles. There are a couple of possible places to get fuel, but we pretty much need to stretch our fuel. The good news is that we're on a sailboat. Rover sails pretty well to weather (prevailing winds will be against us) and in light air. With the solar power we have on board, we shouldn't have to use diesel to make electricity. We're also not on a strict schedule, which should alow us to pick and choose our weather windows to maximize sailing and minimize motoring.

We arrived in Cabo San Lucas and anchored right off the beach. Very few boats were here and the beaches were mostly deserted. We jumped in for a quick swim (photo) and then a shower on deck. After the 5 am departure, we were pretty tired, so bedtime was 8 pm.

It looks like the next two days will be a good weather window, so today (3/28) was spent on preparation (navigation, making yoghurt and bread, making water, cleaning) for a dawn departure tomorrow for a 49 hour passage.

It will be the first leg of the Baja Bash.
Comments
Vessel Name: Rover
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 42
Hailing Port: Seattle. WA
Crew: Eric and Linda
About:
We're making a big change to a cruising lifestyle. Eric retired in 2012 after 32 years in R&D (mostly) at HP. Previous passions included flying and bicycling. Linda will retire in 2013 from Oregon State University. She's been active in Zonta, was a Scoutmaster, and is a champion baker. [...]
Extra: Linda was barrel master and Eric participated in the Jackson Street Vintners; a group of friends that made wine from 2000 to 2013
Rover's Photos - Main
From Seattle to San Francisco
166 Photos
Created 21 August 2019
Photos from week seven
2 Photos
Created 3 November 2013
Living in Port Townsend
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013