Adventures - Aboard the Lady J

29 June 2023
20 June 2023
31 May 2023 | Treasure Cay
25 May 2023 | Marsh Harbour
01 May 2023 | Hopetown Marina
25 April 2023 | Guana Cay Harbor
23 April 2023 | Hopetown
20 April 2023
16 April 2023
09 April 2023
31 March 2023
01 May 2016
28 April 2016 | Big Majors Spot

Great Sail Cay to Green Turtle Cay

06 April 2023
Richard Seaman
On Monday morning, we took our first Bahamian morning swim at Great Sail before we hoisted anchor for a leisurely cruise to Green Turtle Cay. W navigated the very narrow channel into White Sound, fortunately well marked, and docked at the Bluff House.

I experienced some nostalgic feelings on our return to the Bluff House. I came here with Tom Liber 41 years ago to check on the 38 Cabo Rico that he and the owner, Al, had sailed from Florida several weeks earlier. It was my first trip to the Bahamas, my first sailing experience, and my first snorkeling.

We anchored in White Sound, just off of the Bluff House, a dining treasure in the Abacos, located on the highest point in these islands. For many years following when we bareboat chartered sailboats in the Abacos, the Bluff House was a dining destination because of its great food and incredible views. In the early days, you called in your reservations on the VHF and made your selection from 2-3 dinner choices at the same time.

Upon docking at the Bluff House Marina, we learned that the restaurant on the Bluff was irreparably damaged by two back-to-back hurricanes in 2008. I was sad and disappointed to learn of its demise, despite its replacement down by the water by a new Boathouse bar and restaurant. I hiked the Bluff the next morning, stood on the site of the Bluff House, looking out at the Abacos view – the view has not changed a bit – a very beautiful bay with many boats at anchor.

We were unable to clear customs because of our late afternoon arrival so that became our first task on Tuesday morning, renting a golf cart and going to the customs office at the Green Turtle Marina. Since we had completed our pre-arrival custom clearance process online, clearing at the office went very smoothly.

Judy and I took our cart into New Plymouth to explore this island community post hurricane. While there are still signs of the destruction from Hurricane Dorian that devasted these islands in September, 2019, there has been remarkable recovery – reflecting their slogan “Abacos Strong”.

We were very excited to find Miss Emily’s Blue Bee Bar – which had been heavily damaged from the hurricane winds and flood surge. It has been completely renovated to look exactly like the original – a cement block structure painted blue. Miss Emily was the proprietor of this famous island bar until her death in 1997, when her daughter took over. Miss Emily created the world famous “Goombay Smash”, whose secret recipe is still protected by her family today. It is comprised of several different rums and the only hint they will give is: think “coconut and pineapple”. The granddaughters mix the concoction every day to store in one-gallon jugs so the juice can ferment for a few days. I ordered a drink to go with my lunch of grouper fingers and can attest to its consistency in flavor and effect, having been “smashed” on several previous occasions during our decades of sailing these waters. I also learned that Blue Bee’s sells their Goombay Smash by the gallon ($90). We purchased a gallon to share with our visiting family and guests.

A 75 year old secret recipe still being preserved, protected, and served by the third generation owners, through the challenges and trials of past hurricanes – don’t you just love a multigenerational family business!

After we completed our New Plymouth visit, we left our Bluff House dock to make the passage through Whale Cay pass while the weather was still calm. We anchored for the night at Baker’s Bay on the north end of Great Guana Cay, another of my very fond and nostalgic memories. Before 15 years ago, we could anchor on this pristine beachfront, dinghy around the tip of the island to experience some of the finest snorkeling in the islands.

For many years, a cruise ship company tried to develop a resort on this site, including the dredging of a deep water channel on passengers in launches to the Baker’s Bay shore, Green Turtle Cay, and Treasure Cay. This cruising destination was abandoned after several years because far too often, the wave rage caused by the unique weather and current issues in that area prevented the ships from entering the pass and the ships had to go elsewhere.

Then 15 years ago, a new development was started on the northern end of Great Guana, including a large man-made deep water marina. This has evolved into the very successful and exclusive Baker’s Bay resort, with a plethora of homes now lining the beach. In fact, we watched two mega yachts enter the harbor at sunset, having waited for the tide to rise.

While I am somewhat impressed with the success of Baker’s Bay, I cannot help but yearn for the quiet serene uninhabited beach setting on the Abacos and Atlantic sides of this island that existed for so many years -- nonetheless progress does prevail . . .

On Wednesday morning we hoisted anchor and cruised Harbour View Marina in Marsh Harbour, where we will dock for the next several days. We are looking forward to exploring how this community has rebuilt since Hurricane Dorian, which stalled over this area for four days. Our family and business supported the relief efforts at the time of the recovery by donating rolls of fabric and funding for one of the island’s early replacement fire engines.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady J
Vessel Make/Model: Flemming 55
Hailing Port: Herrington Harbour South
Crew: Judy and Richard Seaman
About: After owning Gozzard sailing vessels for over 20 years, we decided to transition to the Fleming motor yacht for our future our cruising adventures - primarily because of its ease of operating and the additional room to share our adventures with family and friends.
Lady J's Photos - Main
18 Photos
Created 24 June 2023
19 Photos
Created 31 May 2023
26 Photos
Created 25 May 2023
14 Photos
Created 1 May 2023
8 Photos
Created 25 April 2023
Our Week on Elbow Cay
41 Photos
Created 23 April 2023
10 Photos
Created 20 April 2023
23 Photos
Created 16 April 2023
7 Photos
Created 9 April 2023
12 Photos
Created 6 April 2023
Our spring adventure cruising the Abacos Islands for two months in the "Lady J"
28 Photos
Created 3 April 2023
Photos from Our Unexpected Wild Morning Ride
2 Photos
Created 8 May 2016
Images from Shroud Cay and Warderick Wells
18 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
20 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
4 Days with my son Jason and son-in-law Ken to begin exploring the Exuma Islands
19 Photos
Created 13 April 2016