Ruby's Adventures 2015

This blog will trace Ruby's journey from Pittwater to Northern Queensland and return commencing in May 2015.

Hervey Bay to Yeppoon

10 June 2015
Tuesday 2 June, a crisp, sunny morning we departed Urangun, Hervey Bay, waved off by Karen and George. Destination Bundaberg. Max wind was 12 knots, during the morning which settled to 8 knots in the afternoon. Made for a pleasant motor sail. Anchored in across from the marina at 1645. It seemed an unsustainable place to anchor with lead lights behind us and huge poles with blue lights nearby. It was on advice - so didn't think much of it. Just on sunset Mooloolaba Keith and Ed arrived. They had barely anchored when a pilot boat pulled beside and advised we would have to move to the other side of the river, just before the marina. It was within an hour that two pilot boats and an enormous ship were bearing down on us! There were happy waves from the pilots - we were happy that we weren't in their path - although there was not much room for error! Interesting being in a working port.
An early start on Wednesday. An 0400 darture - destination Lady Musgrave, with lots of daylight hours to get there. A near miss in the channel on the way out. The dredge, Brisbane was chugging along and accelerated as we were going by. So we put our foot down trying to pass. Out of the darkness another yacht appeared. First it was Keith and Ed ducking with us not far behind. We had to bear out of the way, to the wrong side of a channel marker ... A few expletives and an adrenalin rush before we were back in the channel. No idea what the skipper was thinking!!

As the sun rose we had a few dolphins happy to play. A good amount of wind. With jib poled out we got up to 8 knots and a few bursts at 9 knots. As we approached Lady Musgrave an alarm went off we sent us into a bit of a spin. It was a distress signal. I could see a yacht and two motor cruises ahead. I thought maybe someone was overboard. Geoff was quickly trying to access information of what we should do - with the alarms continuing to activate every minute or so. We were puzzled until we realised it was our alarm. Geoff's individual MOB alarm had activated in his bumbag when he lent on it getting stuff out of a deck locker! Another boat rang us on the radio to see if we were fine - or just 'testing' our device! We learn in embarrassing ways at times!! Good to know that it works!
So Lady Musgrave sat there just as described to us. An atoll in the middle of the ocean. The Dolphins arrived, dancing around the stern, and a large turtle greeted us. Lots of advice was to look out for the 'bommies' - small coral mounds that rise like chimneys from the ocean floor. Nervously we entered the channel with a tide ripping past! So little room for error- out there in the middle of the ocean! A happy story with no incidents to report. Just a bit more adrenalin in the system! Anchored at 1315.

An afternoon walk around the island. Unfortunately not the clear blue sky and stillness that I had hoped for. Cool breeze, overcast.

The next day the weather was worse. Keith and Ed decided to depart. We had a quiet day. Geoff persevering with fishing .... One parrot fish, and I had a quiet day of reading and wishing the sun would come out!

Wish was granted on Thursday morning. The island glistened as the sun rose, the water was deliriously aqua blue and clear and Geoff's fishing dreams started to come true. Two good sized fish caught before breakfast - a yellow fin bream and a snapper, possibly a long nose emperor - we're still deciding what type! But confident that at 45 cm it was well within legal size limit!

After breakfast we departed for Pancake Creek - back to the mainland. So following our track back out through the channel, on watch for bommies. Released when we got through - slightly white knuckles clutching the wheel.

A westerly wind required motoring for most of the passage. Anchored at Panckae Bay at 1615.

A gobsmacking sunset and Baked bream for dinner.
Living by the weather means need for flexibility. Whilst our desire was to hang around Pancake Bay for a couple of days the wind was forecast to blow and the sea to rise. On waking we both came to the decision that we should 'hot-foot' to Yeppoon / Rosslyn Bay marina. So off we went - a great breeze in the morning with Code Zero up, charging along up to knots! The breeze eased quite a bit during the afternoon. Crossed the Tropic of Capricorn. We were quietly reflecting on Captain Cook's passage and marvelling at his seamanship and navigation skills!

Arrived at Rosslyn Bay at 1730. Hard to get bearings in the dark! Were greeted by Lisa and Mike Selbie of D'Euforia.
And the weather is making us sit tight!

A game of golf at Capricornia Resort, a walk to the top of the hill, country and western at the town hall and goat races at the Yeppoon Show - and buying at auction, half a fruit cake.

Comments
Vessel Name: Ruby
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 410 Grand Large
Hailing Port: Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club on Pittwater at Newport, NSW
Crew: Jennie and Geoff Fogarty

Ruby's Profile

Who: Jennie and Geoff Fogarty
Port: Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club on Pittwater at Newport, NSW