August Sun

16 June 2013 | Marathon, Florida
16 June 2013 | Marathon, Florida
05 August 2012 | Bradenton, Tampa, Florida
07 April 2012 | Panama City, Florida
09 March 2012 | New Orleans - Part 1
08 March 2012 | ICW
07 March 2012 | ICW
06 March 2012 | Intercoastal City
05 March 2012 | Lake Arthur
04 March 2012 | Bow Tie Marina
03 March 2012 | ICW
02 March 2012 | Kemah, Texas
29 February 2012 | Kemah - but not for long!
22 February 2012 | Kemah - Still!
12 February 2012 | Kemah, Texas

The first six hours.....

09 March 2012 | New Orleans - Part 1
Kathy/Cloudy, rain, E15 to N 15-20
Part 1
We had heard all the horror stories about heading east on the ICW and up until today were wondering what all the issues were. We left Houma at approximately 6:15 AM . We arrived just outside New Orleans at approximately 12:30 - and tied up to the Seabrook Marina which is located in New Orleans at 9:45 that night. We transited the Bayou Blue Pontoon Bridge, had quite a wait at the West Larose Bridge which was incorrectly labeled SR21 in Active Captain. One thing that you need to know about bridge handlers - if you don't know the name of their bridge - they will not answer. If you get no response use VHF 13 and call a barge captain to get the correct name. It will save you tremendous time and frustration. When we finally found out the correct name of the bridge - we had hit curfew. This is a time that some bridges will not open - usually due to traffic conditions - not a coffee break - although......? While we were waiting for the bridge to open a small boat filled with large uniformed persons and bright flashing blue lights approached us - that's right - we were boarded by the US Coast Guard. The Coast Guard brought their friends from Homeland Security and Immigration and ATF. The only group that didn't participate in the boarding and subsequent search of our boat was the DEA. They found nothing - no surprise - but it emphasized the need to have your paperwork, your safety equipment and your plumbing up-to-date, on board, and Y-valves in place and locked. If you don't know the regulations necessary - take the time to read up on them. This could have been a very costly stop had we not been prepared. Instead it was very interesting, and had its funny moments - at one point I had one of these very professional and strapping young men carrying up my purse so I could get out my ID as I was busy steering the boat in circles at the time. While they were searching the boat and questioning my "alien" I asked the young man who remained in the cockpit with me filling out the paperwork - Why Us? His reply was that the decision had been made to target Houma and we were the only pleasure boat out in this weather - Hmmm - does that make us intrepid or idiots? This little delay - while interesting - cost us about an hour and a half.
Comments
Vessel Name: August Sun
Vessel Make/Model: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
Hailing Port: Kemah, Texas
Crew: Martin, Kathy, India & Scarlet (Scat)
About: Life has changed for India - rat mutt junior (Scat) has arrived!
Extra: ..... and is on constant 'Dolphin watch'!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/runningwild

August Sun

Who: Martin, Kathy, India & Scarlet (Scat)
Port: Kemah, Texas