21 June 2014 | florida
15 June 2014 | Florida
14 June 2014 | Melbourne Florida
19 May 2014 | Marathon to Vero Beach Florida
17 April 2014 | Isla Mujeres, Mexico
12 April 2014 | Isla Mujeres, Mexico
01 March 2014 | Puerto MoralesMexico
27 February 2014 | Cozumel, Mexico
27 February 2014 | Bahia de la Ascencion, Mexico
26 February 2014 | Cayo Norte, Mexico
25 February 2014 | Xcala, Mexico
24 February 2014 | Belize
19 February 2014 | Caye Caulker, Belize
19 February 2014 | Caye Caulker, Belize
17 February 2014 | Bluefield Range, Belize
16 February 2014 | Colson Cays, Belize
15 February 2014 | Blue Ground Range, Belize
11 February 2014 | Sapodilla Lagoon, Belize
11 February 2014 | Sapodilla Lagoon, Belize
10 February 2014 | Placencia, Belize

Caye Caulker

19 February 2014 | Caye Caulker, Belize
We were supposed to have left Bluefield Range yesterday but since Middle Cay was only an hour away and the weather was unstable, we decided to stay put and leave early this morning instead. Last night, a fishing boat anchored close by and at about 6 pm, once of the 6 guys paddled his canoe over to borrow a Phillips screw driver. I asked if I can trade corned beef for fish and so about an hour later, he comes with a bag of red snapper already clean ready for us to cook. I gave him one of our corned beef and he was so happy and grateful!

We got up at 0500 hrs for a quick coffee and toast and by 0600, we were pulling anchor. Although the north exit was shallow, Steve (the expert) gave me waypoints that directed us to where there was enough water to get Saben through. It took 3 hours to get Saben out of Belize City back to semi-open water again. The wind blew up to 22 knots and we had both sails up hoping our ripped main doesn't get any worse than it already is. By 1345 hrs, we were entering Long Cay, much shallower than any entrance we've ever done before. We followed the route Steve put together and the most shallow part was about ½ ft. below our keel. The rest of the trip all the way to the anchorage was pretty deep, meaning we only saw about 3.9 ft. below our keel. We are anchored with only 2 ft. below our keel. The water is so clear that you can see the anchor below.

Our friends Penny, John & Booster (SV Contento) was anchored next to us and joined us for dinner at one of the beachfront restaurant. We had fish & chips, grilled barracuda, rice, and of course, beer. We are so grateful to be safely anchored here.

Tomorrow, the guys will meet for lunch to plan our exit. We will take a water taxi to San Pedro to check out of Belize and Saturday, we work our way to Isla Mujeres. The weather is predicted to be nice and calm so it looks like we are on schedule.

So much to thank for, Marie, Angel and Steve
Comments
Vessel Name: SABEN
Vessel Make/Model: Cumulant 38
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington USA
About: Steve, Marie and Angel Hoiland
Extra: We're finally retired! What do we do now?

SV SABEN

Port: Seattle, Washington USA