Spring Safari

18 July 2010 | Newport, RI!!!
30 June 2010
29 June 2010
28 June 2010
27 June 2010 | Cape Hatteras
26 June 2010 | Passing Charleston, SC
25 June 2010 | Even with Jacksonville, FL (90 miles out)
24 June 2010 | On course toward St. Augustine and gulf stream
23 June 2010 | Matt Lowe's Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
02 June 2010 | Staniel Cay, Bahamas
16 May 2010 | Currently in St. Thomas, USVI
01 May 2010 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
17 April 2010 | Caneel Bay, St. John
09 April 2010 | Portsmouth, Dominica
01 April 2010 | Still in Bequia
28 February 2010 | Bequia
13 February 2010 | Le Marin, Martinique
13 February 2010 | En route
02 February 2010 | Portsmouth, Dominica

Thanksgiving Memories

27 November 2009 | adrift at sea
Safaritu Crew
Happy Turkey Day!
After 4+ days of mostly motoring in light winds and calm seas, we are finally sailing in excellent conditions - calm seas, 10-15 knts of wind, sunny skies and incredibly blue waters. We are currently about 260 miles from the Virgin Islands, with an expected landfall of Saturday, Nov 28th. We are aiming for St. John where Scott & Jen honeymooned long ago, Roth visited there with his family once, and Matt knows some great anchorages and snorkelling spots.

Good news - Matthew finally hooked the big one! A fine looking Mahi Mahi will be on the menu tonight at 5pm. We've been talking about some of our favorite Thanksgiving memories today - here are a sampling of the strong memories each of us has about this great family holiday...

Matt - Every year there is a small turkey prepared, but this is just for show. The real focus is a giant pan of baked Mostaciolli. And you'd better have at least 3 helpings, or the chef will be insulted.

Roth - We always had exactly the same delicious meal, always served on the good china. Turkey, stuffing, Sarah's mashed potatoes and a concoction of peas, mushrooms and water chestnuts. Recently I've gotten into the custom of serving stuffing with sausage and jalepenos - everybody ends up wanting the recipe.

Anna - I remember Thanksgiving at the Herde's house in London. Poor Sarah ate a lot of potatoes, and found out that day that she is terribly allergic and her face blew up like a balloon. George also broke one of the basement windows.

Matthew - I love the giant bowl of pomegranate that mommy always gives us. It's awesome.

Jen - I'm remembering one of our other non-traditional Thanksgivings... the one we spent at Lake Toba in Indonesia with our great friends Andy, Jen and Lisa. A few days beforehand, we went into a restaurant and asked them to prepare a special feast for us. They put on an incredible spread of fish and all kinds of unique local dishes - a great holiday with our extended family, just like today.

Scott - I remember after all the eating and the drinking and the talking and the footbal that my uncle would lay down in the other room. Every year he tried to convince my brothers and me to give him a back massage - he was offering 25 cents for 30 minutes of back rubbing. We fell for this trick for several years in a row...

We are wishing everyone a great Thanksgiving today, whereever you are.

Love,
Safari Tu Crew
Comments
Vessel Name: Safari Tu
Vessel Make/Model: 44' Gulfstar 1980
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Scott, Jen, Anna, Matthew
About: We are a family of four looking to take some time out of our hectic life to enjoy each other while exploring the east coast and Caribbean on our sailboat. Let the adventure begin!
Extra: Scott and Jen already took a year and a half off before kids to backpack around the world. Anna and Matthew have spent half of their lives living in Europe.

Who: Scott, Jen, Anna, Matthew
Port: Newport, RI