M/V NOMADIC SPIRIT

After years sailing the Caribbean we traded our Tayana 37 for an Island Gypsy to explore The Loop. Now that we have completed this adventure...what will be next

Traveling South

29 March 2011
Sailing can be TOO exhilarating!
In the month that covers this blog we sailed from St Barts to Grenada and had some horrible sailing conditions and boat problems. Steering cable broke and had to be repaired in Antigua, Outboard engine was flooded with salt water while on the davits (talk about heeling), VHF Radio not transmitting (we had a backup), Battery charger not functioning (only an issue when at a dock), Main sail halyard is twisted or fouled inside the mast and won't go up or down, Main engine ignition switch melted due to a short and took the solenoid with it as well.

3-27 We cleared out with customs yesterday afternoon in St Barths and had dinner on Here Today along with Winergie. This morning we left for Antigua not knowing where the wind would really take us. With 20 knots of wind from the east we landed at Nevis after 9 hours of sailing with the rail in the water the practically the entire time. We were exhausted when we arrived and went to bed early.

3-31 After a few lovely days on Nevis..... We gave up trying to sleep with the swells rolling the boat so we got up and got ready to set sail. At about 2:0AM we let loose the mooring ball line at set out for Montserrat BUT only 40 seconds later I felt the steering cable break and we were with out steerage. We quickly dropped the anchor and Steve investigated the issue, which involved moving lots of storage tubs and crawling into the engine compartment! The Autohelm still worked and so after digging out the emergency tiller to steer near shore, we set off again about 4AM for Antigua where Steve could repair the cable. Another wild ride tacking to windward with the rail in the water most of the time.

4-3 Steering cable has been repaired and installed as well as replacing the VHF that decided to die on us. Cleared customs and will head out at first light. We have decided to rush to Bequia to meet up with Carol and Jon on Aldebaran and have some fun and laughs! It will be a busy week of sailing!

4-4 Whenever we decide to leave 'whenever we wake in the early morning', I am up in the middle of the night and ready to go. This day was no exception when I awoke at midnight. Thankfully we went to bed at 8 PM so we at least had 4 hours of good sleep. The winds were just right and seas were flat when we left for Dehaies, Guadeloupe. We made great time but the winds ands seas continued to build and we reefed and then reefed again. We made it all the way to Le Saintes by sunset. Rail in the water and waves crashing over the boat the for half the journey. Getting into an anchorage when the sun is setting is unnerving, we tried three times to anchor before we found a spot with good holding in sand. A rocky rolly night and we were up to do it again. 2 reefs in the main and half a jib and we still had the same crazy ride as the day before. We sailed right by Dominica and arrived after dark in St Pierre Martinique. A short day the next down to Anse D'Arlet at the south end of the island.

4-7 PERFECTION! A beam reach with lovely wind at 7 knots all the way to Rodney Bay in St Lucia. Today was SUBLIME! We pulled into the marina for 2 nights to get our outboard motor worked on, rowing to shore is not fun.

4-9 WeGo's little motor is behaving badly and we have sent it to obedience school. We hope by Monday afternoon (a part was ordered) it will be operating properly and we can be on our way to Bequia. In the meantime I was going to lay on another coat of Cabot's on the teak but it has rained off and on every day.

4-11 We finally left St Lucia on Monday afternoon after we found out that the motor guy hadn't even ordered the needed part yet. He had the motor since Thursday and just got around to looking for the part even though he told us on Friday that it was available 'on island' . Well it wasn't and now needed to be ordered in, if ordered on Thursday it would be here today. Island Time, ARGH! I told him to just return the motor ASAP and we would worry about it in Grenada. We knew we were meeting up with friends on Aldebaran so we could bum rides with them.

The trip was horrible! Leaving on a broad reach with flat seas and moving along nicely at 6 knots, we thought we had it made. As the wind increased and our double reefed main was still too much we attempted to drop it to sail jib only. The halyard got stuck, fortunately it was almost all the way down and Steve lashed it up good to keep it from flagging. Now we are sailing with the stay-sail only and still going 6 knots with huge seas on our quarter. Now all this sounds bad but we still need to add the rain the kept up for 12 hours! Every time we changed watch (every two hours) everything we had on was soaked through. Even our foul weather gear was wet. Sleeping was out of the question with the boat rolling all over and it was just a miserable night.

We arrived in Bequia after dawn and after dropping the hook we fell into bed. The protected bay was nice and calm. We cleared customs and had a few drinks with Jon and Carol and called it a night by 7PM. What a great nights sleep we had.

4-13 Today we explored a bit of Bequia and walked a few miles to the turtle sanctuary. Did you know that only one in 3,000 babies makes it to adulthood? That is why they lay so many eggs at a time. Turtles at every stage of development were being cared for, they are released at 3 years of age.

4-15 Time to move on to less crowded anchorages. Everything stowed and ready to go when Aldebaran called on the radio to say they were ready also. Nothing happened when I turned the key. Oh, come on. First the dingy motor and now this. Steve (AKA McGyver) discovered that the starter switch had shorted and melted the wires. Last night I smelled burning rubber while reading and thought it was a garbage fire on shore. I even woke Steve to mention it. Now this morning we realize how lucky we were, another Tayana just burned due to the same thing. Well more problem determination revealed that the solenoid was also affected and needs to be replaced. Having no spare on board and none available here McGyver again came to the rescue by manually engaging the starter gear and applied power to the starter motor and then disengaged the starter gear after the engine was ruining. Whew, did you get that? Anyway...... two hours later we where on our way to Petit Nevis, a very small island 2 miles away.

Petit Nevis is one of our favorite anchorages. Great snorkeling right from the boat and never over 4 boats at any given time. We enjoyed the day with Aldebaran and moved on in the morning to The Tabago Cays. T

The Cays are fabulous! The water is so shallow with white sand that we can actually see our anchor chain laying on the bottom at night under the full moon! Stingrays glide by night and day and turtles are everywhere. Part of this marine park is a turtle reserve and one can swim with them, watching them munch on sea grass. The entire area here is surrounded on the Atlantic side by a barrier reef that extends ever a couple miles. Some of the best and most extensive snorkeling in the caribbean, in my opinion (see favorite anchorages and snorkeling blog), and we have been enjoying it every day. The reef is experiencing some bleaching, the park rangers say it is due to very low tides and the water over the coral warming excessively in the shallow water. We have noticed a difference in just one year!

Compass Rose heard us on the radio yesterday and came to join us in the anchorage. They have a large cockpit and the perfect place for the 6 of us to gather for Sun-downers! The next night we all took cocktails and snacks to the beach to watch the sunset before we all took off in different directions.

4-21 What a shame to have to leave this paradise! We have enjoyed the visit with friends and the wonderful snorkeling but it is time to move over to Union Island to clear customs, then off to Grenada.

4-22 We dropped the hook in Mt Hartman bay on Grenada at 1:00 AM. The sail was blissfully unexciting. 3 1/2 to 4 knots in perfectly calm seas beats 7 knots with the rail in the water! Yes - I really did say that! Well, I need to run. Steve wants to look for parts needed for both engines right away. Our flight is in a week so we haven't much time.

Every day we worry about leaving the boat for the summer. We are getting everything finished and 'summerizing' for the hurricane season. We are have a mooring ball and a local man to check on her weekly. If a storm is approaching he will put down additional anchors but Grenada is south of the hurricane belt so she should be fine.

The week flew by and it feels strange to leave our home on the water for one on land. We will return after the summer and will be counting the days!


Comments
Vessel Name: Nomadic Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: 32' Island Gypsy & 36' Monaco
Crew: Janice & Steve
About:
This adventure began in October of 2007 when Steve came to look at a boat that Janice had for sale on Craig's List. Steve wanted to learn how to sail and Janice needed a new kitchen. [...]
Extra:
FAVORITE QUOTES: 'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do then by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.' Mark Twain 'We went cruising not to [...]
Nomadic Spirit's Photos - Main
23 Photos
Created 18 August 2020
A collection of our loop segments
14 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 20 July 2020
25 Photos
Created 9 November 2017
66 Photos
Created 29 September 2017
17 Photos
Created 29 September 2017
94 Photos
Created 4 July 2017
33 Photos
Created 4 July 2017
67 Photos
Created 3 June 2017
26 Photos
Created 30 May 2017
47 Photos
Created 20 February 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 November 2016
3 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
10 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
7 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
5 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
33 Photos
Created 25 August 2016
23 Photos
Created 5 August 2016
9 Photos
Created 5 August 2016
29 Photos
Created 11 July 2016
31 Photos
Created 9 July 2016
Mamouth Cave NP,Milwaykee, Indiana and Cuyahoga NP,
16 Photos
Created 7 July 2016
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2016
7 Photos
Created 25 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 22 October 2015
29 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
7 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
15 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
6 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 September 2015
24 Photos
Created 19 September 2015
35 Photos
Created 22 August 2015
27 Photos
Created 12 July 2015
5 Photos
Created 12 July 2015
12 Photos
Created 12 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
35 Photos
Created 10 July 2015
8 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
6 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
29 Photos
Created 22 June 2015
Our 'new to us' Monaco 36 with super slide.
7 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
14 Photos
Created 8 June 2015
18 Photos
Created 19 January 2015
10 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
23 Photos
Created 8 September 2014
6 Photos
Created 8 September 2014
17 Photos
Created 8 September 2014
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2014
20 Photos
Created 29 August 2014
My grand sons frog spent time with us on the sea
24 Photos
Created 5 August 2014
My grand daughters pet is traveling with us for the summer.
20 Photos
Created 5 August 2014
27 Photos
Created 3 August 2014
31 Photos
Created 13 July 2014
16 Photos
Created 13 July 2014
52 Photos
Created 8 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 July 2014
8 Photos
Created 1 July 2014
10 Photos
Created 22 June 2014
VIRGIN VIEWS
58 Photos
Created 23 March 2014
13 Photos
Created 13 February 2014
11 Photos
Created 26 October 2013
9 Photos
Created 13 September 2013
11 Photos
Created 13 September 2013
Before and after pictures
4 Photos
Created 14 March 2013
10 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 2 May 2012
8 Photos
Created 29 March 2012
7 Photos
Created 29 March 2012
22 Photos
Created 15 February 2012
8 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
22 Photos
Created 19 December 2011
18 Photos
Created 10 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 26 November 2011
20 Photos
Created 10 November 2011
26 Photos
Created 6 August 2011
26 Photos
Created 23 June 2011
17 Photos
Created 23 April 2011
5 Photos
Created 9 April 2011
20 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
19 Photos
Created 18 March 2011
Daughter Amie visits Sailacious
34 Photos
Created 1 March 2011
10 Photos
Created 12 February 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2011
12 Photos
Created 16 January 2011
12 Photos
Created 28 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 December 2010
10 Photos
Created 15 December 2010
15 Photos
Created 28 November 2010
24 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
6 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
26 Photos
Created 1 July 2010
31 Photos
Created 15 June 2010
26 Photos
Created 5 June 2010
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2010
12 Photos
Created 25 May 2010
11 Photos
Created 11 May 2010
36 Photos
Created 19 April 2010
5 Photos
Created 14 April 2010
13 Photos
Created 7 April 2010
41 Photos
Created 25 February 2010
18 Photos
Created 5 February 2010
36 Photos
Created 20 January 2010
11 Photos
Created 20 January 2010
Various shots during our time in the Bahamas
59 Photos
Created 25 November 2009
19 Photos
Created 25 October 2009
Our two week Shake Down Cruise
31 Photos
Created 18 May 2009
Sailing with Morgan and Kate on Winergie
15 Photos
Created 4 December 2008
Various pictures of day sails.
10 Photos
Created 5 August 2008
The boat that started it all, the bartered kitchen, and Sailacious
5 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 6 May 2008
'You're lucky if YOUR LOVE loves what you love the best' Eileen Quinn