sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

And so onto Portugal....

23 July 2012 | Peniche, Portugal
Jackie
Having spent an enjoyable time in La Coruna and met some interesting people, the time had come to move on, but not until we had checked the propeller. On lifting the duogen from the water we had found a huge tangle of fishing line caught up in the propeller. Fearing the same had happened to the main propeller and needing a reliable engine ,the only thing for it was to go into the water, under the boat and look. We drew lots to see who donned their wetsuit and Pete lost!! He wriggled and squeezed into his suit and set off with goggles and snorkel in hand. He looked an interesting sight and Jackie could not resist a photo- which he has forbidden her to post on this site!! He jumped from the swim platform into the clear water, let out a shriek of 'its freezing ' and dived down under the boat. He was up and back on board in less than a minute stating all was well and he had no desire to stay in the water longer than he had too.

We said our goodbyes and slipped our lines at about 0900, motoring out into the harbour in calm seas and virtually no wind. We put up the main but lack of wind meant we continued to motor for about 3 hours. Then a gentle wind started so the sails went out and we began to make our way quietly through the turquoise water and on towards Cape Finisterre .
In my mind Cape Finisterre was held with some trepidation, with stories of suddenly big seas, dangerous currents and unreliable winds. We were blessed with gentle rolling seas and wind directly from the stern. This meant we could set our sails 'goose winged' (meaning one sail out on each side). So we sailed on through the day and on into the night. We continued on our way 'goose winged' for the longest run we have ever had – 36hours!!
The night brought clear skies, no moon and the most amazing blanket of stars, dotted around the sky line like pinholes through a curtain. We slipped into 4 on 4 off watches and the night passed uneventfully.

Saturday saw blue skies, warm sunshine and continued down wind sailing. Jackie saw dolphins in the distance and one even swam in the waves behind the boat but went as quickly as it had appeared. Saturday night the 4 on 4 off shifts started again but the seas by this time were a little higher and definitely more rolling. Again the sky was littered with stars and the noise of waves breaking close to the boat in the darkness added an eeire feel.
Due to the rolling motion ,sleep evaded Jackie who said she felt like she was in a washing machine and decided to get up before the spin cycle started!! This meant Sunday night was going to be a long one as lack of sleep is never a positive move.

Sunday morning brought blue skies and no wind so the engine was again deployed. Having got up for his 8-12md watch Pete found Jackie, tired, in tears and desperate for a bed that didn't move (I knew there would be days where sailing is not for me and this was one of them). He gently led her to the bunk bed cabin, pulled off her boots and over trousers and ordered to lie down, covering her in the duvet. Within minutes she was asleep.
About 2 hours later Pete appeared in the doorway -'Dolphins, do you want to come and look?'

Jackie got up, pulled on trousers, boots and a jumper to be met by a hot sunny day.
We then spent 45 minutes being entertained by a pod of 5 dolphins playing in the bow wave, jostling for position and swimming like jet propelled torpedoes at the boat only to veer away before touching it. We lay down right at the bow and watched. They in turn swam on their sides looking directly at us and on 2 occasions slapping the surface with their tails showering us with sea water.
Then they moved away, jumping and scooting down the waves and into the distance.

We were then left with a choice of where to go – seeing as Jackie was so tired we had 3 options....
Figuera da Foz, we had already more or less passed this so not really practical, Nazare – possible but a bit out of the way meaning we would have to sail back out into the bay when we moved on and so again not really an option, Sao Martinho Do Porto- a fascinating horse shoe shaped cove, very pretty looking with a good write up in the pilot book, however charted to have 1.8 metres at low water (we draw 1.65) we decided for our first time anchoring in a cove it may not be quite deep enough, So Peniche won.

We sailed on with probably the best wind we had all this trip towards Peniche, passing between Isle da Berlinga (an uninhabited island) and the mainland and on into Peniche harbour.

Peniche is not a pretty port. It is a working port with a shipyard to its east, fishing port centrally and a small marina to its west. We found a pontoon that had space to get Argonauta in and moored up, with the help of the local customs officer who quickly checked our passports and declared we were welcome to stay. (What a relief- couldn't manage another night at sea without some sleep).

As I said Penice is not pretty, the harbour is surrounded by grey walls, the fishing fleets move in and out through out the day and night and the thriving tourist boat industry pay no attention to the 3 knot speed limit causing wash every hour that sends the boat bouncing and splashing on its moorings.

Following an exhausted night's sleep we woke to grey skies and a little drizzle (a familiar story in a new port).
As the marina office had been closed on the Sunday we needed to report to get a gate key and arrange our stay. The office is open at odd hours and we had a window to be there at 0930. We had woken at 9 so skipped breakfast and made our way up. Pete decided to wait at the gate as if the office was closed we would be locked out (good thinking batman).
The office was indeed closed and on closer inspection Jackie discovered Portugal is on the same time zone as the UK and not as the Spanish, so back to the boat for croissants and coffee!!

We returned to the office at 0940 to see a sign saying 'back soon'. We waited another 10 mins and the marina manager sauntered back to the office, smiling and inviting us in to the tiny office big enough for a desk, chair and computer that proceeded to refuse to work. Pete was given a form to sign and started to fill in address details etc only to be told 'no just signature, I hate paperwork' !!!
We paid 30 Euros deposit for a gate key and were also given a key to the toilets/ shower – There is one for men and one for women and I mean only one!! The marina manager said he will be around at about 7pm so we can pay later, so we set off in search of the local market.

After about 20 mins cycling we decided we had missed the market so, having looked at the tiny tourist map picked up at the marina, headed for the coast road . We spent a short time watching a lone surfer trying to catch the perfect wave then continued on the coastal road to the lighthouse seen from the sea the day before.
We passed the most amazing rock formations which Pete commented that it looked like we were in a sculpture park. We grimaced our way up hills and free wheeled down the other side until we made it to the lighthouse. Unfortunately it had a sign saying military on it so we could not go in. However a little further on there was a viewpoint which looked over the sea towards the island with a huge drop down the cliffs and into clear water scattered with shards of rock and rock pools. We were even looking down onto a gull and its nest!!
There was also a cafe so we sat on the edge of the cliff drinking very strong coffee looking out to sea which was deep blue with white capped peaks to the waves.

We consulted the map and again set off- up hill and down dale (well sort of) and ended up in the town, passed through and on to the supermarket for some supplies of eggs, crisps and biscuits (yes we have our nutritional priorities sorted!!!).
Having wandered around the supermarket we followed the locals into the cafe, looking for lunch. We treated ourselves to a large pizza , some chips and 2 drinks for the grand total of 6 Euros – bargain!!
Having returned to the boat we sat under the sunshade (th e sun had made a bit of an appearance by now) and contemplated the wonders of fresh coffee and local cake!

Total travelled on this trip 263.5miles in 52 hours – average of just over 5 knots, not bad seeing as there were some occasions where there was no wind.

So where next?....
Probably Cascais (sounded cashkye) where we hope to locate a spare part for one of the bikes gears before moving on to Lisbon where we will be joined by Nathaniel.
So until next time ….........

Jackie
Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK