sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

Perugara to Palma

31 December 1969 | Malorca - Spain
Jackie
We spent a final night in Peguera with the dinghy safely chained to the boat and then set out across the bay to Santa Ponsa.

A massive sail of 1 ½ miles!!!!
Santa Ponsa is a thriving tourist type town with souvenir shops by the dozen. We spent some time ashore just wandering the shops and found a tapas bar that sold cheap tapas, cheap beer and had free wifi.
Our trip back to Argonauta was a wet one with Pete on the helm, ramming through the surf caused by an onshore wind. By the time we were back on board Jackie was soaked and not too pleased to be so. Having changed into dry clothing we decided to make the trip back to shore for dinner. We found a Chinese restaurant who were doing a 3 course meal for 7.50 euros . Replete we again made our way back to the boat, thankfully this time the waves had calmed a bit so we were not as wet.

The following morning we were just debating what to do as our battery voltage had dropped and the fridge had decided to stop working (fortunately we had not yet done the shopping so no harm done). Whilst sitting on deck, we were approached by a couple in a dinghy. The woman shouted out 'are you Pete and Jackie?' … It turned out they were from a yacht called Simpatic, who had initially contacted us just after we left Cascais and had been both following our blog and emailing Jackie regularly. We had a brief chat and agreed we would join them later in the evening for a drink.
So we weighed anchor and motored to top up batteries towards El Torro bay. Again this is another lovely bay, this time frequented by some huge 'super yachts', you know, the sort millionaires have with paid crew, jet ski's and tenders that are almost as big as Argonauta. (aah but are they happy and satisfied ?...probably!)
After lunch we motored back to Santa Ponsa and anchored again, this time a little further in the bay as we were more sure of depths having been here already. A quick trip ashore for essential provisions, wine for tonight and a haircut for Jackie, Jackie drove the dinghy back to Argonauta. Pay back time! Pete had to change right down to underwear by the time we were back.

We then took the dinghy across to Simpatic where we spent a lovely evening chatting, sharing favourite places to visit and generally relaxing. We did mention to Joan and Conexia that we did not recognise their flag, it turns out Conexia is from Andora and it is the flag of Andora. It was great spending time getting to know people who we had been communicating with by email, although they were probably a bit shell shocked as Jackie had verbal diarrhoea as she has only had Pete to talk too for some time!

Next day was household chore day. You know, washing, cleaning, shopping etc. Even now we have the mundane to contend with but with the addition of warm sunshine and beautiful views it is less so.

Fri Sept 14th Pete's Birthday. He was woken with a cup of coffee and his present... a packet of biscuits similar to hob nobs . He said he has never only had a pack of biscuits for his birthday before. Well now he has!! (we are on a tight budget and so pressies will have to be whatever essential we need next!).
We moved on along the coast to Magaluf. Party, party, party.... well it would have been but the boat was bobbing around all over the place and the thump, thump of music from the shore helped us make the decision to move to the other side of the bay, Palma Nova. It was a bit better here, so out came dinghy and we ventured in our 'good clothes' out to shore for dinner.
Palma Nova harbour is tiny and shallow so it is not possible to bring in Argonauta, so we took the dinghy in to the harbour instead. We were met by the harbour master who told us we could leave the dinghy here... but only until 2000 hrs as 'we close'. It was just before 1900 hrs. So a brisk walk to town and we found a restaurant on the front serving minute steak and chips. We were back at the dinghy at about 2015 just as he was closing the gates. Not a long birthday night out but a treat still.

Saturday saw us moving on again, this time to Punta de Iletes. A tiny bay with clear turquoise waters surrounded by high cliffs and some amazing houses. An idyllic cove indeed.
The beach, a short distance away beaconed, so into the trusty dinghy and ashore to find ice cream. Jackie was met by security guard who told her firmly 'NO, go away, private, go NOW'. Blast, really wanted an ice cream!! Anyway we stayed in the bay for dinner and a night that was quiet but rather bouncy with the boat rolling side to side due to the swell entering the narrow gap between the rocks.

Sunset was beautiful and Jackie jumped into the dinghy to capture Argonauta in the sunset.
We were treated to a display of fireworks over Magaluf, only 24 hrs late but still they must be celebrating Pete's birthday!

On Sunday we again upped anchor and followed the coast round past Cas Cala, Cala Major and across the entrance of Palma. The cathedral looked impressive in the sunlight as we sailed by and we noted this was a definite visit to add to our shore plans.
We anchored just off Can Pastilla for lunch, but the sea was rather lumpy so we set off looking for a bit of calm sea. We settled in a cove just off S'Arenal . Here the anchorage was good but the water not as clear as it has been up until now (if we saw water like this on the East coast of the UK we would be raving about how clear it is, we are getting fussy.)
After the ice cream disappointment we went ashore in search of yummies. S'Arenal is another big tourist trap. Almost every shop were selling drinks literally by the bucket. You could buy the bottle of spirit, mixer, ice cubes, straws and a bucket, all for under 20 Euros!!!
We found a Burger King (I can't believe we succumbed) and had ice cream. It was yummy but due to the very high sugar content, Jackie ended up being sick!! after all that!

We made our way back to the boat to be met by the sound of a night club... great! Still it wasn't too bad and exhausted from a couple of bouncy nights on a rolling sea we slept reasonably well.

Monday saw us motoring across the bay back to Palma. We decided to get a marina berth in Real Club Nautico Palma, at 56 Euros a night not cheap, but infinitely better than the 189 previously quoted. We were shown to a berth, Jackie was sure we would not fit, but backed Argonauta in anyway squeezing the boats either side to gain our spot.
We quickly packed things away and got out the bikes. We cycled into town initially taking the coast road and then through the tiny back streets to the cathedral, an impressive building indeed. However at 6 Euros each just to look inside we decided to walk around the outside only!
We spent the rest of the day wandering, looking at the architecture and discovering both old town streets and Oxford Street look alike shops and buildings.
It was in the newer part of town Pete became the proud owner of his first ever, self owned, mobile phone! Jackie decided he is a big boy now and can be trusted to look after it, (ouch he threw a cushion at me!).
We were very happy wandering the streets, stopping for coffee and cool drinks and soaking up the atmosphere of the city, quite a change from the peaceful calm of the boat.
Whilst in town, Jackie, wearing a 'bum bag' felt it slip, she turned to see a man very close, instinctively she grabbed his arm hard and shouted hey stop. He responded asking is there a problem, Jackie replied yes, you tried to steal my purse, hanging on tight to him she used her other hand to check her bag, sure enough the zip was open but nothing gone, a really close shave. She was furious, how dare he! Having realised nothing was gone she let him go strangely he had not complained at being grabbed... he will have a sore arm tomorrow (hopefully).
Lesson learnt it needs to be a belly bag, not a bum bag!!

Having returned to the boat we had a shower in the marina facilities, lovely hot water on demand and no wobbly floor. As we were in a marina we again got on the bikes to go in search of dinner. We rode along the designated cycle path by the sea front and through into where there was a clutch of restaurants. We sat down to eat in an Italian restaurant at about 2100hrs... we are really getting into this laid back existence.

Tuesday found us up at 0700hrs!! even before the sun, as 'we have a lot to do before we leave the marina' according to Pete.
Well the list of achievements is as follows.....
washing x 2 loads – washed dried and put away in 2 ½ hrs
internet connection to print boarding pass for Jackie's trip home later this month
Mended steps – Jackie managed to break the wood of the bottom step on our first stern too mooring
mended architrave around heads door – I think the glue became un sticky!
2 x pilot holes drilled in the back board of the dinghy to allow us to attach fastening points for winching onto the deck -this will mean it should be easier to lift up and less likely for Jackie to disappear over the side with the swinging dinghy
Cycle into town for 'big ish ' shopping trip- this included coming down hill to the marina, fully loaded with heavy shopping. Thankfully it was down hill, however due to the weight of shopping, Pete's brakes failed and Jackie saw him careering down hill towards the busy main road junction, legs spinning wildly and to all intents and purpose out of control. An impressive last minute skid and use of croc covered feet stopped him just in time!

We did all this by about 1230. A quick trip to secure internet connection for a Grib file and we left our berth by 1300hrs, not bad really.
We decided to motor back to Punta de Iletes as it is a nice location, clean seas and close to Palma (even if we are not welcome ashore).

The plan is to move out of Palma bay towards the south east of Mallorca , before returning into Palma Bay for Jackie's drop off for a trip home, during which time Pete will be joined by friends from Fambridge (Mark and Kay).



Comments
Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK