sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

Decisions, repairs and more decisions...

19 October 2012 | St Carles De La Rapita, Spain
Jackie
Sorry for not blogging recently. We have been holed up in Palma getting the essential repairs done. Decisions as to who to use, what bits that needed repair or replacement were being replaced with what and how we will pay for it all initially.

We used a local company, British born but working in Mallorca to undertake the repairs. Both named Simon and were like a double act, quips and jokes all the time. They were professional and very good at their trade, they were also funny, their conversation could have come straight from a comedy script writer. Thy both referred to each other as Si and conversations went along the lines of.....
do you think this winch will fit in here Si
I don't know Si
Well we could measure it Si
Now there's an idea Si
Have you got a tape measure Si
No Si I think it might be in the van Si
Will you go and get it Si
No I think you're fitter you can go Si
….

a further instance was when heavy rain forced a break in work and one Simon was on the boat, whilst the other Simon had gone to the van to collect equipment. Having been forced inside by rain Jackie offered a cup of tea and a slice of cake. Simon on the boat was delighted, so much so he phoned Simon in the van and gloated stating he had eaten his bit too! (the photo on this blog is Simon having returned from the van and recommenced work in the rain).

So as well as being excellent tradesmen they were a pleasure to have working for us.

As repairs continued we spent some time out exploring. Bikes out again we cycled into Palma main town, looking at the shops (looking only as no money) and had another look around the cathedral and grounds. Several trips to the beach to swim and lay in the sunshine helped pass the time.

So repairs finally complete – including a replacement winch that we had to wait another week for, we finally decided to move on to mainland Spain to our planned winter berth.

We left Palma at 0945 and motored into the bay of Palma then sails up and off towards the Spanish Mainland. The wind was a good 12-14 knots and we were sailing well. As the darkness came then the wind increased as predicted, we were well prepared and reduced the sail to keep her more upright. With 2 reefs in the foresail and one in the main we were still scooting along at 6-7 knots, if we were more brave we probably could have reached 8-9 knots.
As the night went on we realised we were going to arrive in St Carles de la Rapita far too early, before light so again we reduced sail and spilt the wind to slow us down. We arrived just off the coast prior to dawn and carefully picked our way towards the entrance of the sheltered bay. Sun rise was beautiful and brought with it clarity of where the coast lie and where the water was safe to sail.

We pulled into Club Nautica to meet Jaun, whom we had rented the berth from. Pete was apologetic to Jackie saying he had perhaps booked the wrong marina, the basic local one and not the posh marina developments one. Jaun took us in his car around to look at the berth to our surprise and delight it is indeed in the posh marina. We moved Argonauta to the birth, an easy one to get to as it is an alongside finger berth. We were tied up and eating breakfast by 930 am, less than 24 hours after we left Palma, good timing.

What is the new place like? Beautiful, we have mountains as a backdrop to the town. The town is a little quiet but has all the usual shops. The marina itself has a bar, lounge room with sofas and satellite TV, an infinity swimming pool and lovely grounds, at last we have landed on our feet. AND today we had a menu a dia (menu of the day) for 7.50 Euros which included 3 courses and a bottle of wine for Pete and bottle of water for Jackie.

What other decisions have we made. Well one big one, due to our tenant now being 2 months in arrears and having to pay out for repairs money is suddenly a big issue. As such we have decided we need to refill the bank account to give us at least a little buffer. So Jackie has been fortunate enough to be offered an interim manager post for 2 ½ months. This means Pete is to stay on Argonauta and undertake annual maintenance (Jackie has made a big list) and Jackie is returning to work n the UK.

Will post again soon.

Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK