sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

Lazy Days

18 June 2013 | Fornells Menorca
Jackie
Having left Puerto Pollenca we motor/sailed to Ciudadela. The wind was about 5-9 knots and there was some but not too much swell. Having checked the pilot books we decided to anchor in the bay of Calla Degollador. This is a very small cove just outside a commercial port that saw 2 ferries and a catamaran sailings each day. As the big boats came and went the of course caused some swell but not for long.
We crept into the little cove and decided on a spot to anchor. There was already a Dutch boat anchored so we went a fair distance from him and dropped anchor. As the Calla was so narrow and a huge rock loomed in the middle we decided to drop a stern anchor as well. All went well and we sat firmly at anchor in a relatively calm sea. Pete pumped up the dinghy and we headed ashore round the headland to Citudadela.
As we came along towards the town so the estuary narrowed and we slowly made our way to the 'town quay'. This was in fact the end of the estuary that led to 3 small slipways, the waters edge lined with Mooring rings for easy tie up.
The description above does not do the entry justice.... Imagine a Bond film......., they are in a RIB being chased by the villams,whilst on shore a motor cyclist speeds past tiny cafe's and restaurants , the backdrop of brightly painted arched windowed buildings and a magnificent castle flying local flags high on the cliff top above... Well that is more like it. We even went under an iron arched bridge with thoughts of Venice going through our heads. Pete was a little star struck and posed in a typical 'Bond in sunglasses' pose, however the baseball hat spoiled it.
Having established we could tie up we chained (yes chained) up the dinghy. We weren't going to risk loosing another dinghy and headed into town. A hot climb up a steeply sloping road and we were at the town square. There were some shops open and stalls scattered out ont toe pavement. After a quick look to check the dinghy was OK (I don't know what we would have done if it was not) we went to the tourist information office to pick up a map and 'what's on 'guide .
After a short wander we returned to the shoreline and had a drink in one of the estuary side bars. We returned to the boat, even giving the outboard full throttle to speed out, planeing up so the bow was out of the waves, thrilling and sooo bond like!
On return to the boat the wind had changed and the Dutch board had failed to put out a stern anchor so was very close. We decided to re anchor before it got dark and so pulled everything up and tried again. This time was OK but ended a little close to a French boat, he too had a stern anchor so we decided we would be OK where were . When they returned in their dinghy we apologised and then had a good chat as to where they were from and going.
The next day saw blue skies and another trip to Ciudadela in the dinghy. This was a Saturday, there was a market in the town square and as the St Joan celebrations are due to start within the next week, so too was a fun fair. The little children's roundabout was playing of all things Christmas songs, jingle bells, we wish you a merry Christmas etc, and in June!!!!
We had a lazy day exploring the tiny streets as well as the shops, again for a second time Jackie bought nothing in the market!!!! Definately slipping!
After a late lunch of shared pizza in a small street bar we returned to the boat for a quick swim and lazy evening.
Sunday brought more warm sun and Pete took the dinghy back to check the availability of diesel and the cost for one night moored stern too on the estuary wall. This would have enabled us to see the celebrations in town and not have to return in a dinghy late at night which may be risky. Well, no diesel on a Sunday and 10 euros per metre (120euros) per night!! Yeah that was going to happen. So again we slipped anchor and headed for Fornells about 20 miles away.
Although a pretty good sail, close hauled and hitting 7.9 knots of speed we were not going to make Fornells due to wind direction, so chose another calla to creep in to and hide from the wind and swell. Calla Algayerens proved to be pretty and popular with the locals. We found a space and dropped anchor. I went in and checked the anchor had dug in and again a lazy afternoon was had. Pete had just gone down for a shave and wash when a dinghy approached, 'hi, Jackie 'said a voice I recognised and friends made last year from a catamaran called Simpatic , called by saying they had been following our blog over winter and were thrilled to see usin the bay. Of course we welcomed them on board and shared a drink or two, updating on out trip and plans. They too are looking at wintering possibly in Sicily so I am sure we will bump into them again.
The anchorage proved to be very comfortable and far too early the following morning Pete was saying the weather looks good ,lets go for Fornells. A quick look at the wind guru predictions and we agin weighed anchor and set off.
Having crept out the calla the wind hit. It was in a reasonable direction so we decided to set the sails reefed and' go for it.'. Again Argonauta stormed along like a freight train, touching 8 knots and sailing like the great boat she is. However the wind was not so kind and gradually increased turning so it was right where we were heading. Feeling frustrated we tacked and headed for the peninsula. Having rounded the headland the wind blew 26 knots directly ahead of us and with the engine on we crashed through the now rolling waves aiming at the next bay protected by the headland. Having got into the lee of the land we agreed Fornells was close enough to aim for. A further excellent sail under jib only and still hitting 7 knots we rounded into Cabo Fornells. Despite the guidebooks saying there are plenanty of anchorage opportunities, we were met with row upon row of buoys. The wind was still doing its best to cause havoc and after a short discussion with the guy allocating moorings we established it would cost 29.40 euros a night BUT we could not pick one up as it was too dangerous for the person allocating them, neither could we anchor as the local police will not like this!!'
So, back to the headland and round the corner into a tiny bay where only 2 day boats were anchored. Turquoise clear water greeted us and we once again dropped the anchor.
Another swim to check the anchor was dug in and we settled down to an afternoon of reading, dozing and general laziness!
This anchorage was tiny and desolate. The wind continued to grumble through the rigging but we were reasonably well sheltered. We were surrounded on 3 sides by rocks and scrubland, devoid of any trees and the rocks smooth and weather beaten giving some idea of how this point of the island sees storms, winds and high seas. By early evening we were alone in the anchorage , gently rocking with the wind continuing to whistle through the rigging.

Comments
Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK