sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

Move along please

30 August 2013 | Greece
Jackie
Well it finally came to our friend Tess arriving. We made our way back to Argostoli and anchored in the bay ensuring we kept out the way of the ferry.
She arrived and we made our way back to the dinghy to be met by the sight of two turtles fighting for the right to eat the fish being thrown to them by tourists. This was a great start to her Greek adventure.
Next morning it was a rude awakening at 0700 by a sharp knocking on the hull. We surfaced to be told that we will need to move as the large motor boat moored in the harbour wanted to move. Now bear in mind we had arrived well before them, were well out of the way of where they dropped and were anchored in only 1metre of water and should not have been involved, we tried to say so, only to be told our skipper needs you to move. It was all Pete could do to bite down the retort, if your skipper is that incompetent I would leave the boat!!! Anyway, we got up, dressed and decided to move before they did as we didn't want to be involved in any shinanigans.

We moved from Argostoli round to Kolpos Lhorada bay. This is a bay we have anchored in before and has amazing clear waters to swim in. As we rounded the bay we saw something happening on the beach. It turned out to be the rescue of a 39 foot yacht that had been anchored along side us in the bay only 3 days previously, this time though it was firmly on the rocks. As they craned him out it was possible to see huge gouges along one side of the hull and a large hole as well, didn't look good. The proceeded to use 2 cranes and then loaded it into a high sided lorry, didn't look at all stable and we would not have wanted to be in his position. Lunch over we set off for Zakinthos and Ay Nikalous. We snuck into the bay and dropped anchor far enough off shore to be safe and well out of the way of the ferry. We were just relaxing nicely when another yacht anchored nearby. Being the good friendly Brit and noticing he would be in the way of the ferry Pete got in the dinghy to warn him. His answer, a load of rubbish, they just want you to moor on the quay so they can make you eat in their restaurant . He was rude and ignored the warning!!
Then another yacht anchored, this time without doubt in the way. 1915 hrs came and the toot of the ferry approaching warned all of the imminent arrival. The Italians(it is always Italians) just stopped where they were until the ferry was stopped hooting like mad. They did move but then the police asked a local boat to tell us we all had to move. We argued that we were in an anchorage and were told that, yes true but others will anchor as we are there and not check charts, therefore we had to move. Great, up anchor and round the bay to find water shallow enough to anchor in, we did and actually spent a fairly calm night just outside the harbour.
Next morning we decided to moor stern too on the quay and use the chance to do washing and have a shower. We went off in the dinghy to the blue caves and had a good meal in the local restaurant.

Aug 25th.... Had a cracking sail to Aga Effimia under cruising schute. Anchored in the bay and found a good spot, close to shore. Spent another lazy afternoon with a wander ashore for supplies.
Next day and off again this time to Pera Pigardia. A lovely bay where we anchored in crystal clear waters, it was really hot so we swam and played around in the water.
When snorkelling I spotted an octopus. Excited I suggested Tess took a look through the mask. Now I have to say she is not a water baby and it has taken many years to even get her to swim in the sea, however she agreed, put the mask over her face, had a little panic then put the snorkell in her mouth. Slowly she dipped her head forward (she was still using a flotation woggle for extra buoyancy so it was a bit awkward to lean forward) . Then she squeeled and that was it. Oh wow, so many fishes!!! She was away and I had to swim back to the boat to retrieve the spare snorkell as she was now hooked. When we eventually got back to Argonauta we saw a small yellow jelly fish. Unusual as it did not have tentacles, however was being tended too by about 12 tiny neon yellow fish, swimming under and around it.

A few days later found us in Vathi. We anchored in the bay and had a pleasant night ashore with a good meal. Next morning and we decided to move into the outer bay and clearer waters. Again anchored and swimming/ snorkelling. As the evening came so did the wind and we were debating if we should move when we were alerted by a whistle coming from ashore. This time the Police asking us to move on, well they asked 2 other boats but we think we were the correct distance from shore but decided with 25 knots of wind we would move anyway, so we moved back into the bay close to Vathi.

From there we went little Vathi and have spent the night tied to the quay amid numerous other boats. What started to be a choppy night turned into a calm one with only gently lapping waves.
We have shore power so it is long awaited toast for breakfast.

So we have been moved along 3 times and continue to do so ourselves, exploring new places with Tess whilst she is with us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK