sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

Kastos & captain Calamity

13 August 2016 | Kastos
Pete
The following day we sailed to Kastos where we met up with old friends Julia and Duncan on Rampage whom we knew from Saint Carles de Rapita over three years previously when we arrived at 2pm they were already anchored and we dropped our hook close to them but with sufficient space to swing, outside the harbour in a small sheltered area. They advised this was the best place as the harbour got very crowded later in the day with charter boats and the risk of crossed anchor lines was highly likely.

By 4pm we could see what they meant the harbour seemed full but boats just kept coming a whole flotilla of charter boats arrived and the lead boat then arranged a new line of boats about 50 MTS off the beach. One boat came and whilst waiting his turn to enter the harbour anchored between our friends on rampage and ourselves seemingly totally unconcerned about how close he was and the fact his anchor was over Rampage's anchor chain. Julia swam by snorkelling to see how they were laying and reported to him that his anchor was just sitting on the surface not dug-in at all. All the while, both Duncan & Pete were giving him the hard stare treatment which blatantly was not working. We were worried he was going to sit there all night which if it had been the case would have resulted in both Rampage and Argonauta having to re anchor for safety's sake. At 5:30pm he obviously got the call to go in by the flotilla leader. Motored forward whilst trying to haul in his chain only now did he dig it in and suddenly swung round violently when the chain tightened missing Argonauta by about half a boats length. All the time shouting to the two young girls on the foredeck that it was their fault. Eventually he left us and heaving a big sigh of relief we settled down to watch the fun and games as he tried to join the row of flotilla boats in the harbour. After dropping the hook way too early and coming up short then aiming to broadside the other flotilla boats. It was only after about 6 or 7 attempts, he with the help of three dinghy's managed to get tied up among the others. We were convinced that the flotilla leader had deliberately left captain calamity out by us till last so that some of the other were available to assist with his perilous berthing manoeuvres.

That night we enjoyed a drink at the Greek windmill up over the harbour before returning to our boats and then having a BBQ on the beach. It was great to catch up with old friends and Duncan lesson on using the Cobb BBQ was gratefully received. We had bought one 18months previous but due to Jackie s illness hadn't had chance to use it yet. We spent two further nights anchored outside the harbour there each evening watching a similar cavalcade of boats rafting up crossing chains and general mayhem. Glad to be on the outside of it. We had 3 days of calm waters and clear seas for swimming before we moved off to Ithica & Vathi.
Comments
Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK