sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

Petelidi & Kitres

22 August 2016 | kitres
Pete
Petalidi seemed to consist of two main roads crossing each other. They were lined with the basic requirements of Butchers, Bakers x3, small green grocery store and a small mini market. additionally there were a significant number of Tavernas and bars. Every thing we need said Pete. It only took 15 mins to walk round the whole town and that was going slowly so we did it again, just for luck! Before settling down in a bar overlooking the bay and positioning ourselves so we could see Argonauta swinging at anchor. Two mins later the wind changed direction Argonauta swung the other way and out of sight. Typical. We stayed here two nights just to let the swells further down the inlet reduce and on the morning of the third day got up hauled anchor and headed out early. Just as we departed another yacht arrived and dropped anchor at the spot we had left.

Very soon the winds came initially light & we sailed close hauled but they increased in intensity and moved round to a beam reach, perfect sailing weather. By11:30 we were at Kitres. When we arrived two boats were already present a large Tourist 'pirate ship' and a very nice large 85ft crewed yacht. We anchored but the winds seemed to be circulating about and before we had time to dig in we were been blown towards the pirate ship. It seemed that as the other two boats were much larger and heavier than Argonauta they were reacting much slower to the wind shifts and one time it looked as if we were heading into the tourist boat till it started to swing. Jackie donned Snorkel and goggles to check the anchor whilst the water was beautifully clear, the bottom was clearly mud and our anchor had kicked up a cloud of silt, so it was impossible to check we were fully dug in. We gave it a extra tug just in case. By 15:00 both the Pirates & the crewed super-yacht had departed and again we swam. Now the bottom was clear and the anchor had dug so well in we couldn't see it other than its track and the chain dissapearing into the mud. We ate on board and went ashore in the evening for a drink.

If we'd thought Petalidi was small Kitres was even smaller three tavernas and that was it. However it made up for it with people. People everywhere! Traffic was also a big problem we guessed that folks were coming out for the evening from Kalamata but the single road wasn't suitable for the number of cars trying to manouvre through it. Street parking was haphazard to say the least one even parking on the ramp into the water. Several cars were double parked blocking others in. The waiters seemed to take all this traffic in their stride, dodging through the roadway with massive trays laden down with drinks, food, bottles & glasses all balanced by just one hand above their heads whilst at the same time directing cars into the boat yard to park. We stayed watching the antics whilst having a drink and desert. Getting up to leave we were glad we were in our dinghy, so exiting was easier. However one car had parked about 20cm from the edge of the quay immediate above our dinghy making shuffling round it to get to the painter and untie a little tricky and at great risk of falling in. We managed it, and retreated to the relative calm of Argonauta anchored offshore.
Comments
Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK