SailBrightAngel

The Adventure Continues

20 October 2013 | Fulanga, Southern Lau Group, Fiji
20 October 2013 | Village of Maunaithaki, Fulanga, Lau Group, Fiji
20 October 2013 | Village of Maunaithaki, Fulanga, Lau Group, Fiji
20 October 2013 | Southern Lau Group, Fiji
29 September 2013
10 August 2013 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu
06 July 2013
02 July 2013
01 July 2013
13 November 2012 | Vava'u, Tonga
04 September 2012 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
31 July 2012 | Uturoa, Raiatea
14 June 2012 | Tiputa, Rangiroa, Tuamotus

Across the Equator!

03 May 2012 | 02 000.83'S:130 17.54'W, 666 nautical miles from Hiva Oa!
Bob
Day 22 at sea - over 2000 miles behind us, and 0nly 666 miles to Hiva Oa!

Since our last update we have escaped the clutches of the ITCZ (although we continue to experience occasional light squalls), we have come through the doldrums (we hope), and, yes, we crossed the Equator - we are now officially in the "South Pacific" with the added distinction of being "Shellbacks." Try as I might, I have yet to find anything that discusses the origin or meaning of that term, so we'll skip that for now (but I will keep looking).

When we last mentioned squalls (in the previous post) that tropical weather phenomenon was new to us, but we are definitely veterans now! The very active ITCZ we were "blessed" with having to pass through dished up several days of sometimes non-stop squalls, with heavy rains, gusty winds (we saw winds as high as the low-30's - that's near gale, or Force 7), and lightening. Another notable feature of the squalls is that they tend to knock down the trade winds you are sailing in, sometimes long before they hit. We would be sailing along on a nice broad reach in 17-20 knots of breeze out of the NE when the sky would blacken to the south, and the winds would steadily fall off to about 5-7 knots as the rain started to fall. Soon the rain would be falling so hard that it often knocked the wind down to a knot or two, and completely flattened any wind waves that had been there in the moments before; a very strange sight! Then the gusty winds of the squall would hit - like a mini low pressure "bomb"- the direction of which would depend on where we were relative to the center of the convection producing the squall. The gusty winds might go on for an hour or more, depending on how large the convection cell was - we saw some on radar that were almost 20 miles across!

On Friday, April 27, after two days of the heaviest squall activity, when we were at 05 01'N, 125 22'W, we were getting pretty tired (and tired of it)- so, we decided that it would be best to roll up the jib and fire up the engine - for the first time since leaving the Mexican coast - and make haste for the bottom of the ITZC, which NOAA was then saying was somewhere near 03?N (120 nautical miles away). We had already gibed onto a southerly heading earlier in the day, but had made only about 17 miles "southing" in almost 6 hours (because of the hindrance of the squalls). We motored for 33 hours, until we could look behind us at the squall lines - the respite while motoring was most welcome, and almost felt like we were on vacation, or enjoying a leisurely weekend! When we turned the engine off and set the sails again, it was 1 o'clock in the morning on Sunday, April 29, we were at 02 35'N, 127 07'W, and there was a moderate breeze (Force 4) of 13 knots out of the SE - perfect, and our first taste of the southern hemisphere SE trades!

Ah, but it was too good to last. By late Monday afternoon, April 30, when we were at 00 37'N, 127 46'W, the winds had died to less than 3 knots - which is not even enough to move the boat forward under her sails. But we were moving - eastward - to Panama (which was not on our itinerary for this trip!) in 1.5 to 2 knots of east setting current! The doldrums with a twist! So, much to our chagrin, it was time to start up the "iron main" again. When we finally shut the engine down this time (and, we hope, the last time before we make landfall - we have used all the fuel for motoring that we feel comfortable with, not knowing exactly what the availability of diesel is on Hiva Oa), the winds were still very light - about 4 knots - but at least we were out of the east setting current. That was about 10 o'clock am yesterday morning, May 2, and as the afternoon wore on there was just barely enough wind to move the boat at a blistering 1.5 knots of boat speed. (Let's see at 1.5 knots, it will take us how long to cover the remaining 710 miles to Hiva Oa?) Last night we were basically adrift with winds of 0 gusting to .5! Today, however, things are looking up - the wind is back, if only at 10-11 knots, we are making about 4 knots of way, and at 01 15'S, 130 15'W we are a mere 675 miles from our first landfall in Paradise!

That's right - south latitude! We have crossed the Equator! We reached that milestone at 2010Z (1:10 pm PDT) on Tuesday, May 1, 2012, at 00 00'S, 128 46'W - under sunny skies, and with only 820 miles to go to Hiva Oa. We celebrated by donning our "official" Pacific Puddle Jump t-shirts, toasting King Neptune with an ice cold (did we mention it is HOT on the Equator?) Pacifico beer - which seemed appropriate, given the body of water we are on - and boy did it ever taste great! (That was the only alcohol we have had so far on this passage!) We also shared some of the Pacifico and some hors d'oeuvres (smoked oysters) with Neptune, as well. With that simple little "celebration" we graduated from "pollywogs" to "shellbacks." As mentioned earlier, we are still going to try to learn the origin and meaning of that terminology!

Well, with the mercy of the wind gods, we should be in the Marquesas sometime early next week. We are very anxious to get there (and to get off the boat for a while!), especially since friends of ours who have already made landfall on Hiva Oa are e-mailing us with tales of their adventures on the island. Soon, we will be sharing our own tales of island adventures with you - so, stay tuned!

Thanks for checking in, and check back again soon!
Comments
Vessel Name: Bright Angel
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Mason 44 Hull # 141
Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
Crew: Linda & Bob Hargreaves
About:
Linda and Bob are long-time residents of Washington State - Linda was born and raised in Aberdeen and has lived in Washington all her life; Bob was born in San Diego, and moved to Washington when he was five years old. [...]
Extra:
After leaving Olympia in August 2010 and sailing down the West Coast to San Diego, Bob & Linda joined the 2010 Baja Ha-Ha fleet and sailed to Mexico, where they spent a year and a half sailing in the Sea of Cortez and along Pacific Mexico. In April 2012 they joined the Pacific Puddle Jump and [...]
Bright Angel's Photos - Main
Every once in a while something will catch my eye that also tickles my funny bone. It could be a twisted sense of humor that makes me laugh, or maybe some cultural rift - who knows!? With apologies to any whom these might offend (and certainly no offense is intended) let me share a few of my chuckles (or in some cases sheer amazement) with you. LOL!
16 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
The remote island of Fulanga (also spelled Vulaga) in the southern Lau Group of Fiji is truly "Paradise Found!" We stayed in Fulanga for 35 wonderful, awe inspiring and relaxing days - and even then, we were reluctant to leave! Fulanga was resplendent with beautiful beaches, magical islands and the friendliest and most outgoing people you can imagine! With no apologies for the bulk of this album and its sub-albums, suffice to say that these are only a fraction of our digital memories of this magical place, and even less of the mental images that we will long cherish! Enjoy!
9 Photos | 14 Sub-Albums
Created 18 October 2013
One Saturday while we were in Savusavu, we took a bus trip with several of our cruising friends to Labasa (pronounced "Lambasa") for the day. Saturday is a big market day in any Fijian town or village, and Labasa is no exception - so there was plenty of hubbub and lots to see at the market. There was also a parade down mainstreet, and plenty of other unusual sights and sounds to stimulate our senses. Here are some of the highlights of that fun day!
52 Photos
Created 29 September 2013
14 Photos
Created 7 July 2013
We visited Auckland several times, and took some interesting side trips on the way back to Whangarei. Here, and in the sub-albums below, are some the highlights.
12 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 4 July 2013
We were not able to be home for Christmas in 2012, but we did get to have Christmas dinner with cruising friends Bev and Robbie (SV Mersoleil, from Seattle) and other boaters at the Riverside Drive Marina. Even though we were at Whangarei Marina in Town Basin, we got an invite to attend from Bev & Robbie, and were made to feel very welcome. It wasn't "Home for the Holidays" but it was a very nice time, nonetheless!
5 Photos
Created 3 July 2013
Going on walks or day hikes was a favorite pastime of ours in Whangarei, and there were always interesting places to go - around the Town Basin, in the hills and forests behind the town, and to the ocean beaches past Whangarei Heads. Please come along and join us on some of our favorite walks.
7 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
We are not prone to visiting tourist attractions (or "tourist traps" as we sometimes call them), but we succumbed to a few "temptations" while in New Zealand - notably Sheep World (just north of Auckland), going up the Sky Tower in Auckland, and riding the Wynyard Loop trolley, also in Auckland. We hope you enjoy these photos of our visits to these "attractions;" for more information, see our blog post on "Tourist Attractions."
43 Photos
Created 1 July 2013
Linda wrote an "illustrated" Christmas Letter that she sent to family and friends from New Zealand in Dec 2012. That letter is now posted as a blog entry, and these photos are the accompanying "illustrations."
17 Photos
Created 30 June 2013
On December 8, 2012, we departed Opua and headed south to Whangarei. We planned to "park" the boat in Whangarei throughout the New Zealand summer while we focused on "land cruising" (sight seeing), a trip back to the States (in Jan & Feb), and boat projects (including a haulout in April for bottom paint and other jobs). The trip to Whangarei included two overnight stops - the first in Whangamumu Bay, and the second in Urquharts Bay, just inside Bream Head and at the start of the up river trip to the Town Basin in Whangarei. We tied to the dock at Whangarei Marina at 1630 hrs on December 10 - Linda's Birthday, with some help from our friends Bev & Robbie (SV Mersoleil), who then also helped us celebrate the day at Reva's Restaurant, just across the river from our slip. With the dock lines secured in Whangarei, our 2012 odyssey across the Pacific from Banderas Bay, Mexico - nearly 7000 nm all total - had finally come to a successful end, and we we ready to rest!
21 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
Our first stop, where we cleared into New Zealand, was Opua. Before moving south to Whangarei we visited some of the local sights.
17 Photos
Created 25 June 2013
Some things in New Zealand take some getting used to - like the lingo, the accent, the place names (at least those in Maori), and some of the unusual things in the grocery stores, about town, and out in the country. Here's a sampling.
21 Photos
Created 24 June 2013
Daniel's Bay (Hakatea Bay) - site of the TV series "Survivor Marquesas" - was our first stop on Nuku Hiva, an overnight passage from Hiva Oa. A higtlight of our stay in Daniel's Bay was the hike up to see Vaipo Falls, with a 2,000 foot drop supposedly the third highest waterfall in the world.
42 Photos
Created 6 August 2012
After leaving Hiva Oa, Hanamoenoa Bay on the neighboring island of Tahuata was the next anchorage we visited. It was a beautiful bay full of surprises - some good, some not so good!
9 Photos
Created 6 August 2012
Hiva Oa was our first "Landfall in Paradise" after leaving Mexico, and our introduction to life in the islands of French Polynesia.
14 Photos
Created 6 August 2012
Our 28 day crossing from Banderas Bay, Mexico, to Hiva Oa, Marquesas, was the culmination of many months (if not years) of planning and preparation. Shown here are some of final projects in Mexico, as well as some highlights from the crossing itself.
39 Photos
Created 5 August 2012
Just about everywhere you walk in French Polynesia is like being in a botanical garden - the flowers, trees, fruit - it's one of the special treats of being here!
43 Photos
Created 4 August 2012