And another mid life crisis!

Hi guys! Please use this link to see where we are at any point across the Atlantic : http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/SilverLining If you want to see Gill and Neil's blog use this link: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/seaescape/

08 March 2017
19 February 2017
18 February 2017
17 February 2017
16 February 2017
14 February 2017
12 February 2017
10 February 2017
08 February 2017
06 February 2017
04 February 2017
02 February 2017
31 January 2017
29 January 2017
27 January 2017
25 January 2017
23 January 2017
21 January 2017
19 January 2017
18 January 2017

Kitting up

25 January 2017
Our first rest day yesterday. We are only allowed to dive 6 days in the week, so once a week all the staff (unfortunately including Victor the cook) all have a day off. Cooking is divided between the cabanas and we got the breakfast option. Pancakes had been voted for, so pancakes for 25 people were duly rustled up. Reminded of cooking on the tall ship, when I worked on that back in a previous life! Alex had managed to find a jar of nutella in San Pedro, which was emptied in double quick time, so after clearing that up we had the day to ourselves. A good snorkel around the bay, not that we saw much, and then lots of reading, a bit more volley ball, more reading....! Today was the first day that I have done two dives. The first was a deep dive, down to 30m and I wasn't looking forward to it. A somewhat sleepless night, remembering all the things that contribute to nitrogen narcosis (age, overweight, fatigue, exertion - you want to try lifting scuba gear while balancing on a boat and climbing up a couple of steps before sitting on the side waiting to back roll in!) and realising that I was ticking a lot of boxes here! And on top of that we had to be up at 5.30 to take the sand to remove the sand fly eggs! Hard work being here. So kitted up, dealt with superstitious nonsense about having regulator 13 (changed it for no 7), tried to believe Davide that 190 bars air instead of 210 was adequate and off we went. Needless to say it was all absolutely fine. We had to perform a test underwater in which we had to take a regulator to pieces and put it back together, and I managed that, quicker at 30m than on land, which was completely the wrong way round! So second dive was an underwater navigation dive, which was fine except that my goggles kept leaking so I couldn't see a thing. However it gave me the opportunity to hone my skills at mask removal, flooding and mask replacing and clearing as I was having to do it every few minutes. Very patient 'buddy' - thanks Kaesha! So not the euphoria of the previous day's dives, but at least I am ticking off the advanced dive qualification. 1 more dive to go for this! Exhausted this afternoon, so a bit of a siesta in the hammock before more lectures and data entry of all the dive results. Waiting for supper now, but there are calls from the beach to add to the volleyball team.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Hailing Port: UK
Crew: Jane Stephens
About: Sailing with Gill and Neil on Silver Lining to get to Barbados and then who knows what after that!
Extra: Hi guys! Please use this link to see where we are at any point across the Atlantic : http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/SilverLining If you want to see Gill and Neil's blog use this link: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/seaescape/
Home Page: http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/SilverLining
Silver Lining's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 5 October 2016