Sailing Greece Blog

Vessel Name: Jocker
21 December 2015 | LEROS ISLAND
08 December 2015 | Athens, Greece
08 December 2015 | greece
19 November 2015 | Athens, Greece
02 November 2015 | Greece
02 November 2015
Recent Blog Posts
21 December 2015 | LEROS ISLAND

Visit 'Leros island' with a sailing boat

08 December 2015 | Athens, Greece

Sailing in greece vs hotel

What comes to your mind when you are thinking about sailing vacation? That sailing is expensive? That someone needs special skills or knowledge? That you need a certificate? Most of the people are more familiar with the holidays in a hotel, in addition with renting a car or a bike to explore the Greek [...]

08 December 2015 | greece

Agistri sailing

19 November 2015 | Athens, Greece

11 reasons why you should book your sailing holidays in Greece in advance

That must be the time your summer holidays of 2015 has ended and possibly you are in your office in front of a computer and you read articles like "alternative sailing in Greece". That is exactly the very first good reason to start taking care of your next sailing holidays in Greece. Before your summer [...]

19 November 2015 | Athens, Greece

20 things to do while sailing (the tangled list)

One of the most common questions is if someone gets bored on a sailing boat after a while on a sailing trip. Someone who is not familiar with the sailing lifestyle is normal to wonder if he is going to be bored on a sailing trip.

02 November 2015 | Greece

Greece sailing holidays charter

What is vacation for you? Are you a history maniac? Or maybe a traveler of the world? If you were asking me, vacation is the moment when I can pause time and relax. This would probably require some more ingredients in the background but I am quite convinced that my ‘dream vacation’ is on a sailing [...]

Visit 'Leros island' with a sailing boat

21 December 2015 | LEROS ISLAND
Eugene T.

Visit 'Leros island' with a sailing boat
December 18, 2015in Dodecanese
Where to moor in Leros

Weather conditions (climate)

Where to swim

What to eat (Leros traditional)
Leros port
The island of Leros is located in the north Dodecanese, few miles south from Patmos island. Leros is separated also southley by an almost narrow sea passage to Kalymnos island.
small caves and bays
Geographically the island is characterized by small hills and countless bay areas. The most great is Lucky Bay which is the largest natural harbor in the eastern waters of Mediterranean sea.
Having this in mind, the Italians in 1932 created there, their main naval port in the Dodecanese.
More large bays: Alinda, Gourna, the bay of Vromolithos, the gulf of Partheni and Blefouti and Panteli bay.

http://yachtsailing.gr/media/72650/flowers.jpg?width=500&height=500
small hills and mountainous Leros
The highest point of Leros is the Kleidi mountain (Key mountain : around 300 m approximately), other mountains in Leros, is Skoumparda and Diapori at the south and Apitiki at the east.

Alleys and streets of Leros
Nature inside the alleys of Leros


Give a try to Leros for sailing this year and you are going to understand why this article is worth it's time to write on our sailing blog.
For us, who love sailing, many small islands are scattered around Leros and can be a perfect spot to take a short splash. Some of them are St. Kiriaki and Pianousa abreast to Panteli, Archangelos in the north and Glaronisia with Leriko island between Leros and Kalymnos.
beautiful at nights
What if you could move to a place where you'd feel like you're on nature all the time?
nature of Leros

cats in the town of Leros

The island of Leros is almost green and it's inside there is a high level agricultural production. There are countless vineyards, fig trees, prickly, Gkavafes (found only in Leros). Also in many roads you can cross by eucalyptus and pine trees.


Where to moor
Ormos Lakki
Also known with the name "Porto Lago". Italians once used to occupy the area of Porto Lago, as they had their naval base located there.

There is an organised pier to moor:
--------------------------------------------------
Leros Marina (Evros S.A.) is nestled at the right end of Lakki bay, exactly opposite of Lakki harbor (37o 07,76" N. 26o 51,40" E). Completely protected from all kind of winds offers up to 220 berths with mooring lines, water supply and electricity. We have also to mention that they offer free high speed internet access for every berth!

www.lerosmarina.gr



--------------------------------------------------

Outside the organised marina, beware on the South section of the pier where is a steel rod. Generally It is not recommended to anchor in Lakki when there are Southwest and west winds as it becomes a little bit dangerous, unless you are protected inside Leros Marina (Evros S.A.) . Water and fuel are available as well as provisioning.
Food tip: There are a number of tavernas for eating out.


Ormos Partheni
This bay is located on the North side of Leros. It offers a good corner to protect from the winds especially at the night. You have to anchor on the East side as the S and SW are navy areas, so anchoring and photographs are not allowed.

Ormos Plakouti
Waiting for you at the NE coast of Leros and offers better shelter for your sailing boat, except from the days there is Northeast and easterly winds.
SOS: Be careful of the visible rocks in the middle of the bay.

Xerokambo

A really great one bay located on the south side of Leros which offers good protection from the meltemi.


Ormos Alindas

This is a large bay too and is located on the east coast of Leros island. There is a Venetian castle on the top of the hill. If there is a meltemi in weather conditions, the bay can get more than enough rough. There is also a small mole but due to the rocky bottom it doesn't really "works". Fuel and water are available and most provisioning available near by.

A good source: Find all the informations about mooring in Leros at user generated channel:
http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Leros

Weather
As every greek island regulated by the Mediterranean Sea, Leros the most of the time of the year offers a very mild weather with temperatures starting from 12o celsius and 21o celsius degrees during the winter time. At the summer time the weather fluctuate between 25o and 31o degrees.
In the sailing terms, Leros is ideal especially between April and end of October. Enjoy beautiful weather conditions offering memorable sailing moments.

http://yachtsailing.gr/media/72640/calm-sailing-port.jpg?width=500&height=500


Best beaches of Leros


You can find the whole article here
http://yachtsailing.gr/blog/articles/sailing-leros/
Comments

About & Links