Sailing BABS

15 February 2021
24 November 2020
21 August 2020
20 May 2020
13 September 2019
07 June 2019 | Panama
15 May 2019
02 April 2019 | Guadaloupe, Antigua, Barbuda, Sint Maarten
02 March 2019 | St Lucia, Martinique, Dominica
18 February 2019
28 December 2018 | Gomera to Grenada

Head wind down to the south coast

26 August 2018 | Poole harbour
We started our travels by sailing north to ipswich..I pooed me pants a bit as babs got on her lean coming out of brightlingsea creek and the 'big' waves were scary (about 2 foot) after being still on land or mooring for 2 months..mwhahahah but i soon got into it and we had a fast sail catching the eye of a mammoth, daddy of the sea, seal as we were heading into harwich. A massive downpour arrived with wind attached sailing up to the Orwell bridge and we were tacking every 30 seconds. This was defo not sustainable so we cranked up the engine and dripped into the marina.

Benny boy was very kind and allowed me a 3 hour nap when we got there while the electrician came to mend our fridge. Took the fold up bike out for me first ride and loooovvved it!...lots of crustys ready to pounce along the canal side but it just made me bike a lil faster. Met our friendys in ippo for dins and lolz and showed them our new home.

Last bit of grocery shopping on bike, UPHILL! to fill the newly fixed fridge before sailing out to meet the Edme barge crew for another meal out ...get in ma belly! Ahh felt sorry for me benneth saying goodbye to his parents...looked proper emosh! big hugs and time to get truly underway.

Sailed down to sandwich bay in Kent and experienced our first rolley night anchored up..i had to sleep in the saloon as twas lower down...beautiful swim in the morning right off the boat in the nud! It felt extremely liberating and free, i just hope no one had binoculars on the beach. cringe!

Went for a run on the beach in the morn (1st bit of exercise in over a month) made me feel amazing for the whole day while we motor sailed to dungerness.

Me eyeballs hung out in excitement when we saw a porpoise ..tis only the 2nd time i've ever seen one!

5.20am start to make it to shoreham. As we were passing brighton beach the wind was lovely and babs was sailing like a dream. Ben wanted to listen to his music so i whipped out the noise cancelling headphones and rocked out to rag n bone man and cher..mwahahha..whilst steering. It was the first time i'd felt proper at one with babs and our journey while i've been learning to sail her. Think i'm finally getting it ...(grinning face)

Met our mates in brighton and had 3 flat nights sleep which was dreamy! Got rather too drunk on the 2nd night meeting donna and co and ate at an indian buffet as i was in no fit shape to cook and ben needs continuous instruction in the galley! ..mwhaha. Ben half carried me home and into beddy byes. hangover appeared at 4am..woops.🙈

Ben fancied a kite in the waves the next day so i bundled meself along to take some pics.

Real lumpy, leaning sail to meet benguin off hailing island..i was grumpy all day as the simplest things were made so hard such as toileting, cooking etc. Anchored off hailing and benguin came aboard for dins, drinks and chatter. (he also brought me choccy i'd been craving...much happier amy!)

Left the next day after a meaty breakfast at the sailing club because i was craving meat which rarely happens. Then the time of the month turns up and i can give the blame to that for my previous grumpy/choccy/meat craving madness..the body's a funny/clever thing!

The most beautiful sail yet through the solent past the isle of white which looks mega magic! Benguin was keen to steer so i had a bit of a day off to cook, bit of cleaning and book reading. Treat! Wandered into pool harbour after a 8 hour sail adn came across the insanely beauts looking Brownsie island (not so beauts named! mwahahh) Benguin made us some dins and we got an early-ish night.

The weather today is storm like so we are taking shelter behind Brownsie and getting on with lil jobs (ben) baking bread and getting my mind into gear to be able to write our tales so far..quite an effort for me wee brain but i'm getting there and will hopefully progress into a sharper brain by he end of this journey...mwhahaha perhaps! till next time me heartys..

Comments
Vessel Name: St Barbara of mersea
Vessel Make/Model: Nicholson AC
Hailing Port: St Osyth, UK
Crew: Ben and Amy
About:
We a young (ish) couple from the lands of Essex with a passion for adventure and new experiences. Ben is a born n bred sailor growing up on a boat yard with his mum, dad, brother and sister. [...]
Social:
St Barbara of mersea's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.