Sailing BABS

15 February 2021
24 November 2020
21 August 2020
20 May 2020
13 September 2019
07 June 2019 | Panama
15 May 2019
02 April 2019 | Guadaloupe, Antigua, Barbuda, Sint Maarten
02 March 2019 | St Lucia, Martinique, Dominica
18 February 2019
28 December 2018 | Gomera to Grenada

Canary times mofo!

23 December 2018
Sorry been lame on me typing! …eres 2 for the price of 1
So we spent a week or so in el Medano in Tenerife to meet dee-dawg and Josh’s famalam. Windy ol bay at times, had us moving the boat from one side to the other gaining protection from mount Roja or the sea wall. Josh left ol babsy to join Emma and fam in an air b and b opposite the bay and Dee joined us for 4 nights on z boaty. Josh was a great crew member…highly recommend da boi 😁 ..motivating and up for laughings and such.
Was bloody great to see ol dee…Had a shopping morning followed by 2.50 euro mojitos. Swimming off the boat in pretty warm waters. Climbed up mount Roja before getting a text to hurry back as vindy ol weaths picking up and need to move babs to a better anchorage around z corner. Best day at Siam water park which I had been MEGA looking forward to. Dee was the only one up for it and was an expensive day out but totes worth it! Pure excitement from start to finish…amazing rides, 1 shit dee up pretty bad so we had a bit of time on fake beach to get her nerves back togeths. I forced meself on the long, nearly vertical slide that I’d been on in Florida with the wondrous Marley family in me teenage years. Had to prove I still had the guts.
1 night Ben woke me and dee up at 12am to move babs half hour away to an industrial port and we anchored there till the morn. Proper stunk like egg and it weren’t me farts this time.
Back in El Medano we did a bit of snorkelling and saw the most beats fish of my life…dunno what it was but shined a vivid orange, green and purple..luuushhhh! Spent a night in San Miguel marina an hour south down the coast. Ben got on with some jobs. Bumped into a fellow boater (Glen) and invited him for drinks after a rather scuzzo meal in local restarant. Real good to her some stories from his travels.
Back in El Medano dee hopped back on z plane and I got on with some chores. Big washing load using the washer in josh and Emmas air b and b. Big thanks to his mum who dried and folded them all up. Took our newly acquired single speed, rusty ol bike (couldn’t be bovved to delve into the depths of the locker to get me proper bike out-big mistake!) 5 miles up hill on a main road to Mercadona to get supplies that aint available in Lidl. Had to walk it at least half the way but all downhill on way back albeit with only the back brake in use. Got very drunk that night, found a local bar and was talking to a fellow wrongen (got told most of this by ben) ended up in a yoga sesh outside the front door on the pavement. Searched for a party but none to be found so went back to a rather wet radagahst and predictably felt awful the next day. Lil bit of kiting with Josh and Emma and couple of meals out before it was their turn to hop on z plane.
Gut aching 2 days after hangover so did a 24hour water fast which is menna calm your insides. Think it helped the gut but felt mega tired the day after which I overcame with a junk food binge (don’t reckon that’s quite the idea). Wrote a 10 day rolling menu for the upcoming Atlantic crossing.
Back to San Miguel marina to wash all the kite gear, pack away and service the engine, Tidy and scrub of deck before Andy (Bens dad) and Droid (Bens family friend) came onboard. 4 nights in the marina waiting on some solar panels we had sent out there. They didn’t turn up as stuck in customs and no amount of ringing or driving to the depot helped. Luckily droids bruuuvvver was living a few miles down the road so he very kindly drove us about to stock up and do any other chores. Bought some new solar panels in the end and downloaded some music and podcasts…Glen lent us his hard drive so got at least 200 new films..wup wup!.it’s time to leave.

Attempted to make bread on the way down for Atlantic practice…came out swell! As I was kneading ben called me to see some pilot whales surfacing….Smega!! Mostly motored with wind enough to sail for an hour or 2. As I was chilling looking aft I saw what I thought was a windsurfer go down quite far away before quickly realising it was a whale doing a mahoosive jump which he/she repeated…out of this fucking world! Arrived in Gomera in the arvo, few jobs and more food stocking. Few too many rums ending up in the rowers bar where lots of people were getting ready to row across the Atlantic.
Last few jobs and facetime to mummys…(rather difficile on me hangover). Then on the 2/12/18 it was time to wander into the Atlantic…wahooooo! Ben got up just as the sky was brightening. I did me usual- stay in bed till the last minute…Last lap of the marina, few piccys and we motored out of the marina.

p.s photo to follow
Comments
Vessel Name: St Barbara of mersea
Vessel Make/Model: Nicholson AC
Hailing Port: St Osyth, UK
Crew: Ben and Amy
About:
We a young (ish) couple from the lands of Essex with a passion for adventure and new experiences. Ben is a born n bred sailor growing up on a boat yard with his mum, dad, brother and sister. [...]
Social:
St Barbara of mersea's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.