"sailing family"

Vessel Name: Island Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: 2005 Fontaine Pajot Bahia
Hailing Port: St Thomas,crown bay
Crew: Tom, Rhonda, Savannah, Slugger, Lexie & Beetlejuice
About:
On 12/27/10 the truck loaded 750 lbs. of things we thought we could not live without. (we'll see) And today is my last official day of work! On 01/07/11 we will arrive in St. Thomas, VI, take the ferry to Roadtown, Tortola & spend the first night in our new home, "Island Spirit. [...]
Extra:
The crew.. Tom & I are in our early 40's (very young!) and Savannah is our beautiful 7 yr. old daughter. Slugger, Lexie & Beetlejuice are the furrier side of the family I refuse to leave behind. We love the ocean, sun & sailing. Quite simply, we are a family that is in need of a change so we [...]
13 May 2011
12 May 2011
10 May 2011 | from Dry Tortugas
02 May 2011 | Louisville, Ky.
24 April 2011
23 April 2011
15 April 2011
04 April 2011 | Water Island, USVI
21 March 2011 | bvi's
15 March 2011
07 March 2011
02 March 2011
26 February 2011
26 February 2011
23 February 2011
20 February 2011
18 February 2011 | Culebrita, Puerto Rico
15 February 2011 | Water Island, USVI
10 February 2011
Recent Blog Posts
13 May 2011

May 13, 2011

12 May 2011

May 12, 2011

10 May 2011 | from Dry Tortugas

May 10, 2011

07 May 2011

Key West here we come!!

May 6, 2011

02 May 2011 | Louisville, Ky.

May 2, 2011

24 April 2011

Happy Easter

April 24, 2011

20 January 2011 | Marina Cay, British Virgin Islands
Rhonda
January 19, 2011

Hi All,

Today we left the St. Thomas area and entered the British Virgin Islands (BVI) again.
Tom met someone yesterday that recommended the spot we are in now; which is right next to Little Jost (Yost) Van Dyke. We are anchored next to two very small islands which are uninhabited.

We anchored here this afternoon using the anchor for the first time since Tom cut his hand and did it without any injury! The wind and current are strong, but it is worth it. We went onto the little island (approx. 200 yards x 500 yards) with the dinghy and the dogs. There was one other couple there that came over with their kayak. The waves were so strong Tom stayed with the dinghy so it wouldn't wash against the rocks. Savannah, the dogs and I went ashore and checked it all out.

I think this is the best place we have been yet. The tide brings in all kinds of things to explore and study. Savannah found part of the shell of a lobster and crab, there is lots of coral, big conk shells and anything else you can imagine rolls in with the waves of the ocean.

The other little island which is smaller than the one described above has as a gorgeous sandy beach that surrounds it. This time we were able to bring the dinghy ashore. The three of us then built a sand castle!

Till now, I haven't said much about Lexie. Lexie has been the best behaved, thus far, of our furry critters. Anyone that knows her (4 and a half lb. Maltese; age 9) is aware she is usual at the center of trouble. She even survived Tom putting her through the x-ray machine at Atlanta Airport! (No, I am not kidding. He forgot to take her out of her travel bag & sent her through with his stinky shoes!)

Lexie is so small she has been hardly noticed on this adventure. Last night she began using the, "potty" we brought aboard for the dogs. I'm sure some of you have seen it in stores or infomercials. It looks like a green door mat, but it is lined with a small black container so when your critter goes potty on it... it can be emptied and rinsed.

So far we had tried to get Lexie & Slugger to use the potty, but usually Lexie would just lay down on it and take a nap! Last night she used the potty! Yeah! She did it at Tom's request, of course! But we are both proud parents! (if you are wondering, what have we done with them the last two weeks.. No worries, we went ashore.)

Lexie also loves the sand; yes the sand! Each time she is on the beach she gets all fired up and chases Tom and bites his little toe. This is something she always did back home, every morning (minus the sand)! She rolls in the sand and this evening on the sandy beach as she was biting Tom's toe he started to run from her. Now picture this... big, tall Tom running down the beach and Lexie chasing him! Yes, it would be worth the grand prize on, "Funniest Home Videos." Savannah and I sat and giggled watching the two of them.

This evening after returning to our boat Savannah and I cracked open a coconut we found on the beach. This is the second coconut to open. We used a screw driver, pliers and a wrench (as a hammer). It took about an hour and I'm sure there is an easier, cleaner way... monkeys do it, right? Anyway, the fresh coconut was so good, thing is, I kept having these thoughts of "Gilligan's Island."

Tonight is a full moon. It is clear and bright and when we looked through the binoculars it was nothing short of.. "Wow!" Savannah looked at the moon through them and said, "Oh my gosh, you are not getting these back. I am gonna stand here all night and look at it."

So today has ended up being another good day. We are still adjusting and it is lots of work "living" on the boat. I have plenty of moments where I think, "Are we really doing this? What have I done?"

We are accepting applications for boat boy, cleaning lady, cook, dog walker, bartender, teacher, massuse (spelling?), playmate for Savannah, etc., etc., etc. Anyone with just a little energy is encouraged to apply!

All for now,
Rhonda






Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups